Engine Stumbling on Acceleration

lrb6805

Die Living
Supporting Member
Hello, I am having an issue with my jeep that started randomly a few days ago. These are the symptoms I am having:

2006 LJ Auto (107,000 miles)

-No CEL Codes
-The engine is randomly stumbling upon acceleration at higher speeds (has happened at lower speeds as well)
- consistently seems to happen when the engine is warmed up and when I hit 2K rpms at 60mph (though it seems to happen when I hit small bumps at high speed, but not over speed bumps or anything at low speed)
- I ruled out of O2 sensors by unplugging my upstream ones and driving, but issue still persists
- there was one time the engine actually died when I was accelerating from a stop at a red light. It threw a code, but didnt think to try and grab it before I turned it off and turned it back on. The code was not there when I tried to read it after restarting
- I had a similar issue before that was battery related due to corrosion on the negative post, but was fixed by cleaning it and replacing the battery with an Odessy

Tomorrow I am going to check the following:
- spark plugs
- check TPS with voltmeter (though I replaced it recently with a mopar one as preventative maintenance)

kind of seems like a potential fuel filter issue, but im having no startup or idle issues. I also replaced my fuel puml rhat failed about 9 months ago with the recommended Bosch Unit

Is there anything else I should check While I’m in there? Or any other ideas? Having no codes pointing me in the right direction is frustrating

I have a reader (shows no temp or permanent codes) and Ive tried the “manual” way by turning the key 3 times (just says “done”)

Okay. I asked because code readers do not always pick up codes set by the check gauges light but the key trick will work.

Failed/failing parts usually set codes so I would look for a wiring or ground issue.

Sensors that would cause the engine to temporarily lose power include the Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Speed Sensor. Like failed/failing sensors though, wiring issues with the sensors also tend to set codes. Though I have seen the speed sensor lose it's signal without setting a code.

I would think it's most likely a ground issue. Could also be corroded/loose battery terminals or a bad ground on the battery harness.

Ever replaced the OPDA and CMP?

Okay. I asked because code readers do not always pick up codes set by the check gauges light but the key trick will work.

Failed/failing parts usually set codes so I would look for a wiring or ground issue.

Sensors that would cause the engine to temporarily lose power include the Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Speed Sensor. Like failed/failing sensors though, wiring issues with the sensors also tend to set codes. Though I have seen the speed sensor lose it's signal without setting a code.

I would think it's most likely a ground issue. Could also be corroded/loose battery terminals or a bad ground on the battery harness.

Ever replaced the OPDA and CMP?
Dont know what the CMP is, but I did replace the ODPA with the crown one and used the stock CPS on it since the once that came with it was causing issues

I had a VERY similar issue. After changing the TPS, IAC and O2 sensor I decided to check the plugs. They were NGK brand. Clean as a whistle. However I had already purchased new Autolites and decided that regaurdless of the NGK's I was going to change them. I never got a CEL. After I put in the Autolites, issue gone. Never had a problem since. Go figure????

Reactions: John Scoggins
I had a VERY similar issue. After changing the TPS, IAC and O2 sensor I decided to check the plugs. They were NGK brand. Clean as a whistle. However I had already purchased new Autolites and decided that regaurdless of the NGK's I was going to change them. I never got a CEL. After I put in the Autolites, issue gone. Never had a problem since. Go figure????
Yeah I’m going to check mine. I changed mine out about 2 years ago to the Autolite iridium tips and they have less than 30K miles on them, but maybe there is an issue

Did you recently have the battery disconnected? The computer has to go through a relearning process once power is reconnected. Mine does something similar after the battery is disconnected for a few minutes, a slight stumble at about 2k RPM for a bit till it recalibrates.

Ok, so i has the issue again today and was in a safe place to induce the problem longer and finally got the codes P0300 and P0339. I’m going to check the wiring harness and order a replacement sensor now just in case

Reactions: Rubisohoe
Having the same issues on my 06 LJ. Mine will start and run until warmed up then it will buck, cut out and die. I will crank it to restart with no success one or two times and then nothing- when I turn the key its like the electrical system is disconnected. After the engine cools down 30-45 minutes it will start up and run fine until warm again. Changed OPDA still have same issue. current code is P0339 checking crank sensor and other sensors as mentioned in other threads.