Engine Stutters And Dies Intermittently When Starting From A Stop

Jay MacLeay

TJ Enthusiast
Sometimes when I'm at a stoplight, when the light changes and I go to take off the engine will stutter and sometimes it will die. This doesn't happen every single time. This has happened to me before and I found that the timing chain had slack in it. I replaced the timing chain and that fixed the problem... For the time being. I have noticed that it sounds like there's an exhaust leak (ticking noise) and the Jeep seems to be running a little rough at idle. RPMs are normal, but it just doesn't feel like it is idling smoothly. Is it possible that there's a leak in the exhaust manifold that has the o2 sensor telling the computer that there's too much 02. so the computer has adjusted the timing making it off? It's an '05 6 cylinder. Is it possible that there is something wrong w/ the engine that is causing the timing chain to wear prematurely? If so, what could that be?

Sometimes when I'm at a stoplight, when the light changes and I go to take off the engine will stutter and sometimes it will die. This doesn't happen every single time. This has happened to me before and I found that the timing chain had slack in it. I replaced the timing chain and that fixed the problem... For the time being. I have noticed that it sounds like there's an exhaust leak (ticking noise) and the Jeep seems to be running a little rough at idle. RPMs are normal, but it just doesn't feel like it is idling smoothly. Is it possible that there's a leak in the exhaust manifold that has the o2 sensor telling the computer that there's too much 02. so the computer has adjusted the timing making it off? It's an '05 6 cylinder. Is it possible that there is something wrong w/ the engine that is causing the timing chain to wear prematurely? If so, what could that be?
@Jerry Bransford @Chris

If it were me I would hook and OBDII scanner up to it with LIVE diagnostics. That would tell you a lot as to what’s happening.

Will it tell me what's going on even though I don't have a CEL that stays on?
The live data can be analyzed and you can figure out what’s going on. Of course if you’re not very mechanically inclined I would instead take it to a component shop that can do this for you.

Thanks. Do you have an OBDII reader you recommend? I assume you are doing about one of those Bluetooth-type readers.

I'm terrible at diagnosing issues and definitely not comfortable doing any intensive engine work, but if it's something like replacing a fuel pump, I'm ok with doing stuff like that.

I had this and it was my fuel pump going out. It did this intermittently for about 3 months before fully dying.
Did it happen more when the tank was completely full and less as the tank emptied? Did it affect your gas mileage? Did the check engine light flicker on? Did power cut out until you let off the gas and go back to normal once you put your foot back on the accelerator? Did the gas gauge read higher or lower than normal after stuttering episodes?

Did it happen more when the tank was completely full and less as the tank emptied? Did it affect your gas mileage? Did the check engine light flicker on? Did power cut out until you let off the gas and go back to normal once you put your foot back on the accelerator? Did the gas gauge read higher or lower than normal after stuttering episodes?
The engine was peppier with a full tank. I had cases when going from full to no throttle where the engine would die but would eventually come back(think when you crest a hill and it goes from uphill to downhill coast)
Gas milage has been bad until recently. So can't talk to that.
Gas gauge was always the same.

Are you missing a ground to your pump? The guage reading wrong hints at that to me.

Did you ever figure this out?

Sorry this is a little long but I thought Id try here before asking FB. I also searched forums and found this thread.
2006 Rubicon, 6 speed. Had the jeep since 2008.

So Im having something similar to this. I will go to take off from a light and its almost like a hesitation or hiccup. jeep will die and then magically come back on, once I did have to crank it and it fired up. It will also do it while driving, I had it in 4th gear and it died while driving, then came back on, so I continued driving. On start up, when it sat over night, it will start fine at first. Then it will rpm drop, sputter then come back on with no issue. The CEL comes on for a split second then off. No codes.

I will get a intermittent CEL with the P0153 code for O2 sensor slow response. I installed american racing headers and thought this is why. It comes on randomly, then off. I have replaced All O2 sensors once and replaced that sensor twice. Wiring is in good condition and nothing frayed. No exhaust leaks or intake leaks But when I get the hesitation, the light goes off. Probably cause the computer resets.

So, I have been leaning towards a failing fuel pump. Its the original one since 2006, so it may be time? Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Wranglerfix

Sorry this is a little long but I thought Id try here before asking FB. I also searched forums and found this thread.

So Im having something similar to this. I will go to take off from a light and its almost like a hesitation or hiccup. jeep will die and then magically come back on, once I did have to crank it and it fired up. It will also do it while driving, I had it in 4th gear and it died while driving, then came back on, so I continued driving. On start up, when it sat over night, it will start fine at first. Then it will rpm drop, sputter then come back on with no issue. The CEL comes on for a split second then off. No codes.

I will get a intermittent CEL with the P0153 code for O2 sensor slow response. I installed american racing headers and thought this is why. It comes on randomly, then off. I have replaced All O2 sensors once and replaced that sensor twice. Wiring is in good condition and nothing frayed. No exhaust leaks or intake leaks But when I get the hesitation, the light goes off. Probably cause the computer resets.

So, I have been leaning towards a failing fuel pump. Its the original one since 2006, so it may be time? Has anyone else experienced this?

what brand of 02 sensors did you use ? if you used anything other than NGK/NTK thats probably your issue ! have you pulled the codes ? ever changed the spark plugs ?

what brand of 02 sensors did you use ? if you used anything other than NGK/NTK thats probably your issue ! have you pulled the codes ? ever changed the spark plugs ?

I used NGK O2 sensors. Only codes I get from the reader or turning the key 3 times is the 0153.
Spark plugs were replaced in 2021. Had copper ones in then I switched to the NGK Iridium stock plugs. I switched the OPDA out in 2019 with the crown version. Thinking that it could be a CPS issue, I replaced with an NGK one. Ran fine for a week, then went into limp mode and had CPS codes. So i put a NAPA one in and has been good since but would get an intermittent 0153 code.

I have been battling this 0153 code for about 2 years and has been driving fine. Get 14MPG consistently but the sputtering and engine cut outs have been happening for the last 4 months. That's why I'm thinking fuel pump.

I have been battling this 0153 code for about 2 years and has been driving fine. Get 14MPG consistently but the sputtering and engine cut outs have been happening for the last 4 months. That's why I'm thinking fuel pump.

you can check your fuel pressure but have to splice into the fuel line because there's no Schrader valve on later models. autozone and oreily's have pressure gauges on their tool loaner program so thats free!

Reactions: Boomhauer
Good morning gentlemen and thank you for tagging me.

@Boomhauer two of the symptoms of a faulty manual pcm is rough idle and stalling while driving. The others are loss of gauges and faulty o2 sensor readings.

You can get the jeep up to operating temperature and gently tap on the pcm with a screwdriver handle and it should exhibit some of those symptoms. You can call me anytime to discuss in further detail.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Good morning gentlemen and thank you for tagging me.

@Boomhauer two of the symptoms of a faulty manual pcm is rough idle and stalling while driving. The others are loss of gauges and faulty o2 sensor readings.

You can get the jeep up to operating temperature and gently tap on the pcm with a screwdriver handle and it should exhibit some of those symptoms. You can call me anytime to discuss in further detail.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the reply gentlemen, I may give you a call and tell you more about what I'm experiencing. Light was on yesterday when parked and No light on this morning but it had a stutter when it started. Not as smooth as it use to.

What brand of O2 sensor did you install? Most store brands and all Bosch O2 sensors can cause problems. And know too that 05/06 PCMs have known problems causing problems with the O2 sensors, I'd think any of that before I'd be thinking fuel pump issue.

@Mark cantrell is a member here and owns/runs www.wranglerfix.com and he can talk to you about your O2 problems to give you an opinion on if he believes it's PCM related or not. He's an absolute guru on our PCMs and even fixes/repairs them too.

P.S. Ospreys scare the hell out of me, thank you for your service and being a pilot of them! Personally I'll stick with 100% full-time fixed wing aircraft lol. 🇺🇸