What temperature does your Jeep run at?

And now everyone will tell everyone to change out the fan clutch first.
Agreed, the fan clutch is usually only indicated when the cooling system has trouble keeping the engine cool at low/idle rpms or during stop & go driving. When driving at cruising speeds, the fan seldom has much to do with keeping the engine cool.

Reactions: mrjp
It’s amazing the difference in temperatures you see. On the highway on hot days with AC, I push 225. Immediately cools off when I slow down, AC or not. I’ve never been able to figure out if that is normal so I’ve just lived with it :ROFLMAO:

Jealous of people who max at 213.
Sounds like either the radiator is partially clogged with hard water deposits, the water pump is starting to go bad, or someone installed an aftermarket radiator.

Agreed, the fan clutch is usually only indicated when the cooling system has trouble keeping the engine cool at low/idle rpms or during stop & go driving. When driving at cruising speeds, the fan seldom has much to do with keeping the engine cool.

I think I caught it early. OCD led to OBD.

Sounds like either the radiator is partially clogged with hard water deposits, the water pump is starting to go bad, or someone installed an aftermarket radiator.

Everything is less than a year old and Mopar besides the fan clutch and thermostat (three year old mopar). Maybe I’ll try the fan clutch and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll take it in for a flush. I barely drive the Jeep on the highway nowadays so I keep forgetting about it.

And now everyone will tell everyone to change out the fan clutch first.

In an attempt to prevent that, I'll belabor this a little and point out that I had worked through and eliminated the other potential causes and solutions. Working through a diagnostic tree in my head assembled from the advice on here and considering the details of the symptoms made the fan clutch the very likely culprit.

Just for future readers, Blaine was of course tongue-in-cheek kidding when he said that. :eek:🤣
In case you thought I was kidding.
At 7700 feet, water will boil at 158 degrees F, compared to 212 degrees. But, a coolant system is a closed system under pressure, atmospheric pressure shouldn't have anything to do with the cooling system overheating.

I would put in a 160 degree thermostat and a higher pressure rad cap. A rad cap of 16 psi will allow coolant (50/50 mix) to boil at 267 degrees F. A rad cap with a pressure of 24 PSI will allow coolant to boil at 280 degrees.

From the nice gentleman in Ethiopia with more bad advice.

Which fan clutch did you go with? OEM or aftermarket?

Aftermarket. Based on some recommendations on here, it seems Hayden is an acceptable brand. I ordered a Hayden from Amazon, but got in a hurry and picked one up at O'Reilly's. Based on the low price and ease of install, I figured it was a low-risk flyer to take.

what about going up hills? just wanna make sure lol.