Engine Upgrade

Sean Allen

I wanted to see what everyone's choices for engine upgrades have been. I thought I wanted to LS swap my Jeep, but after looking at conversion cost and labor involved I'm thinking stroking the 4.0 may be a better bet. Then there's also the diesel option to consider.

Let's hear from members who have stroked, LS or HEMI swapped, or gone to the dark side and started burning coal! (Id really like to hear if anyone has any experience with Cummins new R2.8)

What are you running and Why?
What are the Pro's/Con's?
What kind of Jeeping do you do?
What would you have done differently?

Interesting video. Seemed rushed. The oil pan mishap could've been avoided with a good skid pan. And disappointing the fuel usage they reported was only over a 95 mile period some of which they were wheeling, but I don't recall them saying how many hours worth. It could have been done a lot better, like have some tests/challenges that play to the strengths and weakness of each option 'a la top gear or grand tour. How do they all do pulling a small trailer up grades? What was the cost total of the swap vs price difference in MPG/Fuel cost? Even do a drag race if that's what some folks would care about (Im not one of them).

You have to put a lot, and I mean a LOT of miles on that little diesel to offset the $10K crate motor cost plus installation and the price of fuel! Cool factor be damned!
V8 power is great and a slight bump in MPG is a nice plus. LS motors can be had pretty cheap and have huge potential to fit most needs, but installation cost needs to be weighed. As well as the issue of SMOG testing depending on your local laws.
The 4.0 is a gas guzzler and can be a real dog up hills towing or weighed down with gear/armor. Especially if not geared correctly. But its reliable and will go a lot of miles with good maintenance. Stroking is a relatively easy and cheap option if you're looking for a little more out of it. Not to mention forced induction. But with both of those comes worse gas mileage.

Kinda why Im interested in hearing from people that have done it and have been driving them for a while and why they went whichever route they did.