Entire Family Hikes Appalachian Trail

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
Another YouTube rabbit hole Mrs. Irish and I have gone down. We have been watching some of these various hiking and adventure videos. Of course that leads to some of the Appalachian Trail videos and this one came up on our feed yesterday afternoon while we were enjoying a few cocktails.

At first I thought these people were absolutely out of their minds, taking a family of 8 (Including a 2 year old, yes a 2 year old little boy) the full length of the Appalachian Trail. Plus I thought the dad was a straight up wiener head goof ball, but the more I watched it the more respect I had for the entire family. Then about halfway through they took a long weekend off from hiking, drove back to their home town and all of them (Except the 2 year old) ran a marathon together. Absolutely amazing. The little girl was the youngest person to ever hike the trail.

It took them 6 months and they averaged about 13.5 miles a day including their "zero" days. Amazing family.

Sorry for posting something positive amidst all the turmoil...
grin.gif

Great story. Watched it this weekend. Thanks for the tip. They’re a pretty amazing family!

I'm glad someone else watched it too. Yes. Pretty amazing family. I thought they were all crazy as hell until I watched it all the way through, and then I realized that they are just all highly motivated. Big difference. Mrs, Irish and I both came away impressed with the whole family.

This is so very strange. I'm right in the middle of reading Returning to Katadhin: A Thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail by Bruce "RTK" Matson who hiked it in 2018 and while reading earlier today he mentioned the Crawford family hiking the same time he did and he ended up meeting them on the trail when he reached Pine Grove Furnace State Park where everyone tries the Half Gallon Ice Cream Challenge. He mentioned how many found it very controversial that the entire family hiked it but didn't elaborate why. Maybe ages, toughness of the hike, etc.

Reactions: Blondie70