Evolution of the ElkTaxi

A few evenings ago, I got around to making a roll-bar mounted Hi-Lift Jack mount. I'd built one for my YJ several years ago, and while it worked out fine, I fine tuned the design a little with this latest iteration of that idea. It's not original or new to readers here, but I designed this one to mount the jack about 4" higher than my last one. It works out better for me loading gear, tree stands tools and such, and the dogs like it better because it isn't a headache maker when they jump into the back of the Jeep!

Cheap and simple! Less than $6.

2 - 2.25" muffler clamps
3 - 5" x 1.5 "x 3/16" pieces steel flat bar
2 - 1.5" x 1/2" bolts
2 - 1/2" wing nuts
2 - 1/2" flat washers

It doesn't interfere with the hard or soft top nor the back seat when installed. It doesn't rattle, obscure rear-view vision, and locks in place along with my slightly modified 20mm ammo can gear box with a Master Lock Python Cable.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Is that rear axle a Dana 35 or Dana 44? What gear ratio?

It's a Dana 35 Trac-Lok with 3.73's.

Interestingly enough, that Trac-Lok is still working really well! I've taken it out and about, and gone places it's proven itself useful. It was very nice through the winter and our snow, made the ElkTaxi behave like a perfect gentleman!

Since I broke two axles on my old YJ Dana 35, I'm gun-shy of this one too. The YJ got an 8.8LS slipped underneath it in short order after the second axle failure.

I've considered just getting alloy 27 spline axles for this and running it, as the Trac-Lok is doing most of what I'd expect the rear-end to do, but just don't know if that's enough of a hedge in strength to prevent a very long North Idaho walk home, especially since we have very spotty cell service to none many of the places I play.

I have on hand,, in the box an Auburn Gear Ected 30 spline to do a S35 in the ElkTaxi. Yep, I know, not a "True Locker", but all accounts I've read don't denigrate the full time Limited-Slip capabilities of the unit. Auburn now sells replacement clutch packs for the units, as well as all other moving parts, including complete rebuild kits, and those parts are reasonably priced. I'm willing to take the gamble of having to replace the clutch disks someday. However, I'm easy on the skinny pedal and don't anticipate burning up clutch packs frequently.

If I knew I could count on the 27 spline alloy upgrade axles I'd do them. Or, I'd stuff a True-Trac in the back if they made it for a 30 spline option. I can't on either count, so the Ected it will be!

Last edited:
Very Cool! It's an awesome place to live... if you bring your work with you, are retired, are financially independent or all three!

You can be a millionaire in North idaho in just five short years! Just bring three million with you to start with!
:sneaky:(y)
You and Squatch live in beautiful places . . . both states border my province of BC.
Also an elk hunter . . .

It's a Dana 35 Trac-Lok with 3.75's.

Interestingly enough, that Trac-Lok is still working really well! I've taken it out and about, and gone places it's proven itself useful. It was very nice through the winter and our snow, made the ElkTaxi behave like a perfect gentleman!

Since I broke two axles on my old YJ Dana 35, I'm gun-shy of this one too. The YJ got an 8.8LS slipped underneath it in short order after the second axle failure.

I've considered just getting alloy 27 spline axles for this and running it, as the Trac-Lok is doing most of what I'd expect the rear-end to do, but just don't know if that's enough of a hedge in strength to prevent a very long North Idaho walk home, especially since we have very spotty cell service to none many of the places I play.

I have on hand,, in the box an Auburn Gear Ected 30 spline to do a S35 in the ElkTaxi. Yep, I know, not a "True Locker", but all accounts I've read don't denigrate the full time Limited-Slip capabilities of the unit. Auburn now sells replacement clutch packs for the units, as well as all other moving parts, including complete rebuild kits, and those parts are reasonably priced. I'm willing to take the gamble of having to replace the clutch disks someday. However, I'm easy on the skinny pedal and don't anticipate burning up clutch packs frequently.

If I knew I could count on the 27 spline alloy upgrade axles I'd do them. Or, I'd stuff a True-Trac in the back if they made it for a 30 spline option. I can't on either count, so the Ected it will be!
Why not go with a Dana 44? (asks the man who has an open diff Dana 44 with 3.73's for sale...);)

:sneaky:(y)
You and Squatch live in beautiful places . . . both states border my province of BC.
Also an elk hunter . . .
It is indeed beautiful in BC. My daughter and son-in-law live in Fruitvale, and we go play up there a few times a year with the Jeeps. We were in Nelson last year for Canada Day after hiking Idaho Mountain. Ironic, live in Idaho, and go to BC to hike Idaho Mountain!

Why not go with a Dana 44? (asks the man who has an open diff Dana 44 with 3.73's for sale...);)
Price Mostly! Locally I've seen a few, but they're pricey, and the last few sets were Rubicon axles, wanting only to sell in pairs for some serious $$.

I'm not sure I'd gain anything strength wise going to the Dana 44 over a S35, at least for the way I anticipate using this rig.

What do you want for your Dana 44/3.73's?

Here's the ad from the "Parts" section. I have it listed for $850, but there's some wiggle room...

*Drum brake Dana 44 is still for sale
Second Dana 44 is from a 2001 Sport that has 160,000 miles on it. It has 3.73 gears, and is an open diff axle. It is complete from drum to drum, and was driven a few hundred miles across state the week before it was pulled. There are no known issues with it. I am offering it to forum members for $850 (will list it on Craigslist for $1000 if there is no interest here).
* I have opened up this axle to check condition of the gears for a potential buyer who ultimately went a different direction. Only the diff cover was removed for visual inspection. Gears showed a good wear pattern, and no signs of damage.

Hmmmm... I'll have to screw my thinking cap on regarding this one. Thanks for the info, I'll give it some consideration for sure, as I've not opened any parts packages on hand yet for the S35, and I've had none of them over a week, they're returnable at this point.

Hmmmm... I'll have to screw my thinking cap on regarding this one. Thanks for the info, I'll give it some consideration for sure, as I've not opened any parts packages on hand yet for the S35, and I've had none of them over a week, they're returnable at this point.
It's tucked safely away in the garage. I'm not in any hurry. Never even listed it on Craigslist, and I've had it for several months, now. Truth be told, I've wondered if I shouldn't hang onto it for a future TJ purchase, but I tend to think like that about everything. I'm a packrat extraordinaire! ;)

Reactions: reddvltj

Picked up a Jeep-load of work ( aka quality time with my tools! ), and future reliability for the ElkTaxi today.

Ox-Locker for Dana 30 with cable-shift, install kit, drive-away adapter, Lube-Locker gasket, and quick-disconnect mirrors for driving topless/doorless.

The little brown truck of happiness just left! UPS driver left the Auburn Ected for the ElkTaxi S35 upgrade today!

Waiting on axles and install kit to arrive next week for the Dana 35, have everything for the Dana 30.

I'm thinking of changing out the Dana 35 diff cover, not only for more protection, but to gain a drain plug to simplify and expedite routine fluid changes. I'm open to ideas there, if anyone has suggestions.

Too, I'm going to be doing a setup on both the front and rear diffs, I'm really torn whether to re-gear at the same time. I'm running 4.0, AX-15 & 3.73's with 31's right now, and even on cruise control it does great on our N. Idaho roads and passes. I don't really anticipate going bigger on tires, for the way I use my TJ, and where I go, I haven't needed bigger (based on a decade in my old YJ) As it sits, at 60 mph I'm turning 1800 RPM's (ish) in 5th gear. Milage is about 18 miles/gal at this point. I've looked a Chris's TJ gearing thread and the chart there, and it appears optimum would most likely be 4.56's?

Help me out here, please! Is it worth dropping another $433 (Amazon Revolution Gear 4.56 R&P sets and install kits for Dana 30 & Dana 35) to change gears? I'm not rock crawling this rig, although from time to time some of that comes into play me getting in and out of where I want to be.

Last edited:
Getting ready for an outing this weekend with the ElkTaxi, decided to put some more traction on the ground. This afternoon I put on the tires/wheels I pulled off the YJ before I sold it... the YJ wheels kind of give it a retro-look, reminds me of the YJ's in Jurassic Park.

While I was at it, I removed the locking lug nuts the PO had put on. Those things are a nightmare waiting to happen out in the pucker-brush... especially if it's zero degrees and ice... so many negatives if we actually use our Jeeps!