Exhaust, O2 sensors, pre-cats, spring lift / spacers, crusty rocker arms, track-bar & trouble codes

PXM

Supporting Member
I'm not sure how to address all these issues, so I figured I'd just post them all together and take in the feedback.

I've got a lot going on with this new to me Jeep. Multiple trouble codes, a dented up exhaust, melted wires and some crusty rocker arms. I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way instead of just throwing parts at symptoms.

5 Confirmed Trouble Codes:
  • P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Response Bank 2 Sensor 1
  • P0431 Warm Up Catalyst 2/1 Efficiency
  • P0129 Barometric Pressure Too Low
  • P0058 O2 Sensor 2/2 Heat Circuit High
  • P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor
There appears to be a leveling kit/spring spacer on the Jeep & the axel is noticeably shifted towards driver. I was going to install an adjustable track bar but was afraid that that might cause further issues with the already damaged exhaust by shifting the axel & driveshaft back closer to the exhaust. Worth mentioning is that I've installed 1" JKS motor mounts since acquiring the Jeep. I've also just picked up used 2.5" Old Man Emu springs, shocks & steering stabilizer for $200, that will soon be installed.

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

Could the restricted flow in exhaust system and potentially damaged O2 sensor be causing the TC's?

At 215K miles I may very well need to replace the cats & O2 sensors, but I'm afraid the exhaust may get damaged again if I don't figure that out first. Am I correct in thinking that if I install an adjustable track bar it will pull the axel back towards passenger and closer to the exhaust? On the subject of exhaust, how tight should thing be?

I should also mention that the previous owner was involved in a few (5) front end collisions! :rolleyes: Carfax list 4 as minor, less than $500, and one as exceeding $1000 for a front/left sideswipe collision, so there's that to consider.

On a positive note I stopped the valve cover leak by replacing the gasket. Unfortunately, I found more gunk under there than on the drip tube of my smoker! Could this also be related to the restricted exhaust or do I need to look elsewhere? I plan on replacing the oil pan gasket & rear main seal soon. Is there anything that I should do prior to that in order to get some of this sludge out; I was thinking Berryman 1216?

IMG_1472.jpeg

I almost forgot, the melted wires....

IMG_1266.jpeg

These were cleaned & wrapped with electrical tape. These go to the cam shaft position sensor & alternator & now I'm wondering if they might be contributing to the P0344: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor?

So, where should I begin? :unsure: My daughters think I should start with the stereo...

This can also be from the loose cats.
If you install a new one, you need to push up on the right side before tightening to help the left side clear that joint.
Mine came with the same dent and I couldn't figure out how the driveshaft was able to move that far.
Pretty sure it was the cats being loose and/or misadjusted.
I never fixed it, my axle is centered, and it's never hit since.