Expected feeling from brakes—do I have a problem or is it me?

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So an observation first then a question for those with more experience.

I have an 06 LJ Rubicon, Auto, 35's, and front 16" BMB big brake kit.

I've been noticing lately that when in 4Low on a very steep decline ( > 30 degree), and/or when trying to just creep off a taller rock/ledge etc... I have to basically stand on the break to stop the vehicle from rolling. The pedal doesn't go all the way to the stop, but just takes a lot of force to actually stop the vehicle half way off a ledge for example. It's got me thinking if something is wrong. I've bled my brakes a couple of times so I don't think it's air, also the pedal feels firm enough when just driving around normally.

Additionally, on wet pavement I can lock up the tires, on dry pavement I can't. If I stand on it the Jeep comes to a quick stop but no tire squealing or anything.

So the question is... is this normal? Should I be able to lock up the tires on dry pavement, and alternatively how hard should I have to stand on the pedal to stop forward motion when in 4Lo and dropping off something? if not normal, what else should I look for?

It's kind of on my mind as I watch videos of Moab and the steep declines with cliffs around lol...

Thanks.

A couple thoughts.... first, it can be VERY hard to stop a Jeep in 4Lo with low axle gearing. The torque is tough for brakes to overcome so it's perfectly normal.

And you should be able to lock up the front tires in most situations with the BMB brakes. I can with mine if I need to. But your pads must be broken in correctly and you must continue to occasionally brake very hard with them to keep them braking at their peak capability. If you don't break them in properly or you did but you lapse back into gentle stops 100% of the time they'll lose their effectiveness. Try doing another break-in process per the instructions that came with the BMB kit. And then keep them broken in afterward with regular very aggressive braking when you think about it. Limousine stops over a period of time will cause them to be no better than the OE factory brakes.

Reactions: B252 and L J
Agree with the above. 4L will be a challenge, as stated above, but you should be able to lock them up on the road. I just have the BM pads on the front of my jeep and I can lock up my jeep in a hurry, I’m also on 35’s. I am a aggressive brake user, which helps keep the pads operating at their best. Don’t baby those pads. I store my jeep for the winter. The first time out I go thru breaking them in again, they will not grab as good as the jeep sits for about 6 months. After some hard braking they come back alive!

It also could be that your booster may have a slight leak so it gives a slightly lighter boost to the brakes. Check your vacuum hoses and try to listen to the booster for any odd sound. This is an unlikely thing to happen, but I'd check out the vacuum side of the brakes too.