Experiences with Motobilt fuel tank skid

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Time to replace the OE fuel tank skid. Narrowed down to the Motobilt offering. One of the only ones I can find that doesn’t require a body lift. I don’t have a BL and have no intentions of adding one.

Would like to hear from those who have the Motobilt skid. How is the construction and installation?

I have a Motobilt front bumper and am happy with it. Plus Black Friday sale for the win!

Haven't used it but if you aren't trying to gain clearance, I think the 03-06 tank skid is quite a bit beefier than the early ones and would be an inexpensive upgrade.

Haven't used it but if you aren't trying to gain clearance, I think the 03-06 tank skid is quite a bit beefier than the early ones and would be an inexpensive upgrade.
Thanks.. The Black Friday sale has the Motobilt skid priced reasonably. Not looking to gain any clearance. The OE skid is rusting in a few spots and I want it gone.

Thanks.. The Black Friday sale has the Motobilt skid priced reasonably. Not looking to gain any clearance. The OE skid is rusting in a few spots and I want it gone.

What are you gaining? If it’s aluminum at least it won’t rust. If you don’t want clearance you must not wheel it enough to touch the skid. In which case it’s an expensive replacement. 03-06 replacement skid sounds sufficient. $100 brand new on Amazon.

What are you gaining? If it’s aluminum at least it won’t rust. If you don’t want clearance you must not wheel it enough to touch the skid. In which case it’s an expensive replacement. 03-06 replacement skid sounds sufficient. $100 brand new on Amazon.

Is the 03-06 skid a direct bolt on with earlier model TJs?

Is the 03-06 skid a direct bolt on with earlier model TJs?

Yes.

The metal is not super thick and it can be dented, but it does encapsulate the gas tank and provide reasonable protection for mild to moderate wheelin.

Reactions: GregBelleville
Don’t know. It’s not listed.

Reason I ask is bcs the other TJ steel gas tank skids I've seen were something in the 70lb+ range. Real easy to add a lot of weight, when a late TJ skid will be lighter and might work just fine for your uses.