Facebook and company

zebra12

TJJ78 and TJJ77
Supporting Member
I'm sitting on my couch in Corvallis, Oregon. @psrivats shot me a Whatsapp message to my Oregon personal cell phone. The message showed up on the lock screen of my Turkish cell phone. My Turkish cell is a work phone, no apple id, phone, whatspp, or email crossover. Only connection is they are in my pocket at the same time. I unlocked my personal cell and there was no message; also no message on my Turkish cell once I unlocked it. @Zorba - WTF over how did that happen?

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
@Zorba - WTF over how did that happen?
You're asking me? I have no idea - I don't touch smartphones, facesuck, Whatsapp (whatever that is, I just know its a smartphone thing owned by facesuck), TWITter, snapchat, insta-whatever...

I don't even have texting, too annoying...

Last edited:
I'm sitting on my couch in Corvallis, Oregon. @psrivats shot me a Whatsapp message to my Oregon personal cell phone. The message showed up on the lock screen of my Turkish cell phone. My Turkish cell is a work phone, no apple id, phone, whatspp, or email crossover. Only connection is they are in my pocket at the same time. I unlocked my personal cell and there was no message; also no message on my Turkish cell once I unlocked it. @Zorba - WTF over how did that happen?

This one really broke my mind today .. I rechecked my messages and this is what happened (I think):

1. I see that I accidentally messaged your turkish # from within my whatsapp (think you had whatsapp before on that, right?)
2. If you currently don't have whatsapp installed on that phone, then you must have perhaps had an SMS saying "so and so wants to reach you on whatsapp" or some such message with an install link for whatsapp. I recall have had similar happen before. That must have been the popup notification?
3. You messaged me from your regular number and our communication was normal from there ..

f3cf652b459d4e68d722526138955856.jpg

This one really broke my mind today .. I rechecked my messages and this is what happened (I think):

1. I see that I accidentally messaged your turkish # from within my whatsapp (think you had whatsapp before on that, right?)
2. If you currently don't have whatsapp installed on that phone, then you must have perhaps had an SMS saying "so and so wants to reach you on whatsapp" or some such message with an install link for whatsapp. I recall have had similar happen before. That must have been the popup notification?
3. You messaged me from your regular number and our communication was normal from there ..

I have whatspp on both phones. That was an all around super stalker technology event.

I just tagged Zorba because I know you HATE Facebook (owners of Whatapp).

Reactions: Zorba
I finally disabled my FB account this week. After the whistle-blower bringing up legitimate concerns but then suggesting government guided censorship as the answer, and then watching the social dilemma, I've just had enough. Even if I only spent half an hour a day using it, over the past 15 years that adds up to over a year of 8 hour days that could have been spent building real relationships or developing a skill. Privacy issues notwithstanding, I'm just not willing to give one more minute of my life to completely non-value-added distraction.

I finally disabled my FB account this week. After the whistle-blower bringing up legitimate concerns but then suggesting government guided censorship as the answer, and then watching the social dilemma, I've just had enough. Even if I only spent half an hour a day using it, over the past 15 years that adds up to over a year of 8 hour days that could have been spent building real relationships or developing a skill. Privacy issues notwithstanding, I'm just not willing to give one more minute of my life to completely non-value-added distraction.

Make sure you disable the app and backup data or they'll still be getting all your comings & goings

Make sure you disable the app and backup data or they'll still be getting all your comings & goings

My last two phones haven't had the main app installed on them - that helped with some of the targeted ads that seemed to be listening to my conversations.

I do still have Messenger Lite installed though, so they're probably still tracking me that way some how. The current status of my beef with them has more to do with the time-suck than the data though, and Messenger doesn't try to manipulate me into wasting my life away.

My last two phones haven't had the main app installed on them - that helped with some of the targeted ads that seemed to be listening to my conversations.

I do still have Messenger Lite installed though, so they're probably still tracking me that way some how. The current status of my beef with them has more to do with the time-suck than the data though, and Messenger doesn't try to manipulate me into wasting my life away.
Deleted it for the time suck more than anything. Had my privacy settings locked down tighter than a brick shithouse. Still, would get annoying fleas showing up as ads showing they were still listening.
Deleted the app and immediately realized I can't use marketplace which seems to have replaced Craigslist as the go to buying and selling app.
So I started a new account just for access to marketplace and do not have the app on my phone or laptop.

I don't have the app on my phone, but I do have a FB account for the sole purpose of buying/selling stuff on Marketplace. If it wasn't for that I would have deleted it a long time ago. The only friends I have on there are family, and I have about 3 pictures all from 2014. My entire account is set to private, and the only info I have on it is pretty generic. These days having no social media presence whatsoever can actually be a negative in the eyes of potential employers it seems.

I don't have the app on my phone, but I do have a FB account for the sole purpose of buying/selling stuff on Marketplace. If it wasn't for that I would have deleted it a long time ago. The only friends I have on there are family, and I have about 3 pictures all from 2014. My entire account is set to private, and the only info I have on it is pretty generic. These days having no social media presence whatsoever can actually be a negative in the eyes of potential employers it seems.
Yeah, whatever. I need 'A job' not your job.

Deleted the app and immediately realized I can't use marketplace which seems to have replaced Craigslist as the go to buying and selling app.

that's what sucks about it. craigslist was ok when I was in the I-25 corridor in Colorado but it's dead here. It's what's kept me holding on this long, but now I'm just accepting that I'll have to get some luck with CL or sell stuff on the forum.

These days having no social media presence whatsoever can actually be a negative in the eyes of potential employers it seems.
There are certainly articles that claim that - and I'm sure there are employers who are that stupid. I wouldn't want to work for anyone that dumb.

I don't have the app on my phone, but I do have a FB account for the sole purpose of buying/selling stuff on Marketplace.

Unfortunately, that seems to be correct. I sold two sets of tires, plus a single tire recently. All 3 listings were posted in multiple places. The single tire sold on Offerup. The two sets of tires sold on FB. Crickets on most other apps including CL.

I do keep FB because there's lots of wheeling trips listed there + I use it to arrange my Poker game. I don't have limits, but my wife limited herself to 1 hour a day on there. She seems to get more eavesdropping ads. She was talking about something recently that had other meanings. The other meanings for the product started popping up on her FB immediately.

any alternatives to marketplace for selling Jeep parts locally? I don't expect to need my stock rear axle shafts now that I have RGA US-made back there so I was thinking I'd sell them to someone who might need new bearings or seals and would rather "hot swap" the shafts instead of messing with presses or machine shops. May do the same with the fronts, to someone that wants spares...I don't figure I'll carry a spare for those either because even if they break, I'd probably just pull the inner and leave the outer installed.

any alternatives to marketplace for selling Jeep parts locally? I don't expect to need my stock rear axle shafts now that I have RGA US-made back there so I was thinking I'd sell them to someone who might need new bearings or seals and would rather "hot swap" the shafts instead of messing with presses or machine shops. May do the same with the fronts, to someone that wants spares...I don't figure I'll carry a spare for those either because even if they break, I'd probably just pull the inner and leave the outer installed.
WranglerTJForum for sale section?