Factory fog light wiring

etc1006

TJ Enthusiast
So, today when I did the new marker lights in Lucy, I noticed pigtailshanging at the wiring end for the markers. Are these the factory pigtails for the OEM fogs? And is there one in the switch area for a switch? Be nice to use that to fire the relay harness for my cubes and not have a bunch of extra wiring running all over....

So, today when I did the new marker lights in Lucy, I noticed pigtailshanging at the wiring end for the markers. Are these the factory pigtails for the OEM fogs? And is there one in the switch area for a switch? Be nice to use that to fire the relay harness for my cubes and not have a bunch of extra wiring running all over....

Yes, they are pre-wired for the fog lights, so that's what you're seeing.

I believe there is a connector for the fog light switch under the dash somewhere too.

Reactions: etc1006
Yes, they are pre-wired for the fog lights, so that's what you're seeing.

I believe there is a connector for the fog light switch under the dash somewhere too.
Awesome! I just saw your thread about this. Dunno why I couldn't get it to come up last night. Form the info I've found, I may not need much of the extra wiring I have.

Reactions: Chris
Awesome! I just saw your thread about this. Dunno why I couldn't get it to come up last night. Form the info I've found, I may not need much of the extra wiring I have.

Yeah, that's the nice thing about these vehicles. Since they all use the same wiring harness, they're pre-wired for everything, even if they didn't come with the option.

Turns out it apparently had them from factory. I got to looking. relay is there, and noticed the multi function switch. From reading the other thread... TADA
7e6d1d8264bb0006d26cdc44987e871a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do, I do! What year is your Jeep? Can you post a picture of your connector? I just wired up some fogs to my stock wiring on my 2004 TJ. The connectors were not easy to find but someone clued me in. Turns out the battery sensor on earlier model Ram 1500, Cherokee, and Durango use the same connector. I went to a pull a part (LJC) and found a bunch.

Reactions: JP13 and etc1006
Thats the same as mine! I went to the LKQ and snipped off 6 sensors and ended up with 6 male and 6 female ends. I paid $3 for each pair, plus $3 to get in IIRC. Then I did some soldering and heat shrink and it turned out really nice!

Do you need the male ends (that plug into the picture)?

From what I see, I need the end from the sensor with the male pins. Looks like I'll try to make a trip on Thursday!

Yep, here a write up I did from another Jeep forum, hope it helps! Would you rather purchase a couple of my spares for cost plus postage?

Success! Thanks to a forum tip, I headed to LKQ (pull a part junkyard) today with the goal of finding some connectors. I found some. The trick is to look at the battery tray for older Cherokee, Durango, Ram. There is a sensor there, looks like a round piece. You can turn it and pull it up. You are looking for ones that are wired directly, without a connector. Follow the wire from this sensor to the wiring harness and you will find a male and female connector of the proper size. I came home with 6 of each as the charge you for the whole connector.

I got them home and tested them with a multimeter and a 9V and the all worked. I picked my favorite two. I disconnected them and put the female halves aside. I connected them to the female connectors on the Jeep and verified that the switch stalk was working properly, which I am happy to report it was.

Then I removed the lights and soldered and heat shrink wrapped the connection to the sensors. I put split loom over the wire for a clean look. I installed them back on the Jeep and plugged them in and WALA! working fog lights off the multi-function stalk!

Reactions: Chris
Was able to hit there after class today. Buggers were pricy. Ever since LKQ took over the local PnP chain they jacked up prices on everything. Shoulda used my "discount " for a couple. 10 minutes and I was out.
7722b4c9804b716dfcd9d4e13de131c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk