Factory subwoofer hardware

cmitcham

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
i gutted my interior for a good cleaning today, and recent audio threads have me wanting to improve my sound while i'm in here. it looks like i need to remove 2 speed nuts to remove the sub from the console (silver in the picture). is there a way to get these off and reuse them?

thanks!

20190802_204416.jpg

Use a 90 degree seal pick. That’s what I used when I replaced my speaker. Even it it breaks, you can buy them at any hardware store.

You can try the smallest miniature screwdriver to get into the slots and pry the "teeth" out of the plastic "stud", then some needle nose pliers to put them back down.

There may be a better way but I don't know it. If you just try to pry it off the plastic will probably break right off.

thanks guys, you're right as always. gently pried open, then pinch close to re-use. most utube-ers just destroyed the speed nut and the plastic post, and actually this wouldn't be the end of the world. these seem to be like the speed nut that sometimes holds a brake drum or rotor on the hub before you install the wheel.

20190802_222049.jpg