Family Project: '99 Wrangler TJ - An Exercise in Incremental Changes

Yesterday - received a set of RS55239 (front) and RS55241 (rear) shocks. Pulled apart the rear suspension again, this time with a lot more knowledge about how to get everything removed and installed - much faster this time.

Removed the springs, installed the shocks on both sides. Cycled the suspension - found no interference from the trackbar, and the bumpstop appeared fully compressed before the shock bottomed out. Full compression of the suspension had the rear shock at 13.75", with 13.5" as the minimum length for these shocks. This seems perfect.

Reassembled the suspension, once again using straps to get everything aligned. We're getting pretty good at that.

Front shocks should go on today. My math says we'll need 1.8" bumpstop extension given a 3/4" spring spacer, we'll verify that when we get everything apart (again). I bought a rod of 3" wide UHMW to "fabricate" (i.e., cut to length) bumpstop extensions.

On a less happy note, looks like the front U-joints need to be replaced; they're ordered. We also have new ball joints, which we'd actually planned not to install as the ones on the Jeep look good and the effort seemed high. Since that'll be coming apart, I'll probably also order wheel bearings so we can replace all the wear items.

And, unfortunately, probably need all that done before big snowfalls - since this will be my winter car as my son is taking the 4Runner.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Round 1 (almost) complete. Got just a couple pictures to post.

Looks like I need a transfer case drop, there's light-moderate drivetrain vibration.

PXL_20201024_235117200.jpg

Quick view of the homemade bumpstop extension up front after install.

Despite being rather simple, I'm pretty proud of how these came together.

PXL_20201024_021025732.NIGHT.jpg

Looks like I'll need to do a little more steering work. In 2wd it wanders a little bit. In 4wd/High, it's a handful to keep straight. We'd set front to 1/8" toe-in, but with the wandering I wonder if something moved. Looks like we need to take another look at it.

Starting to get snow here in Colorado. Grip seemed great with the new tires, but the wandering takes all the confidence away.

Quick re-alignment. It was WAY off, over 1/2" toe in. Tracks MUCH better now with a little under 1/8" toe in.

Side note: Yes, you need to re-align after uninstalling control arms and removing springs to install spring spacers.

We've gotten a few little things done. I'll post up some pictures, but in summary...
  • Replaced the factory rear bumper with a Smittybilt with a receiver hitch and mount for the swingarm
  • Installed the spare tire swingarm, removing the center brake light in the process (to be replaced soon)
  • Installed Daystar 1" TC Drop. Driveline vibrations are gone
  • Test-fit my bike racks. Larger one can't fold up due to the spare tire, smaller one fits with a bike on it
  • Replaced missing control knobs for the fan and output diverter selector. No longer need needle-nosed to change fan speeds!
As seen in the WDYDTYTJT thread, I also replaced the passenger side u-joint. It kinda needed it, one of the caps was broken, dry,and all the bearings gone. This was learning experience, and glad I did it on my own - I was pretty irritable by the end of it. If I need to do this again, I'll probably take the driveshaft to a shop to press out the old U-joint and press in the new one - doing everything else myself.
PXL_20201108_023752334.jpg

Steering is still pretty wandery. I'll be creating a new post on that once I finish taking the various troubleshooting steps I've found on this forum (and others).

After driving at night...it needs a headlight upgrade, desperately. That wasn't a planned upgrade, but with this being my winter car I think I'll have to take the plunge. I've been spoiled by the projectors our 4Runner and the Xenon HID projectors in our ML350. Even the Miata has significantly better headlights.