Fan blower not working on setting 3

rebelles

TJ Enthusiast
I know there are various threads on similar topic and I have replaced both the fan switch and resistor in past TJs for similar issues. This one is a little unique to me but I’m sure caused by one of the two items. The TJ I just picked up (2001, 6 cyl) is not blowing on setting 3 of the fan motor setting (the one closest to max/high) but is working on the other 3 settings. Any quick thoughts from anyone who addressed the same issue specifically?

I had the same issue recently. I replaced the blower motor resistor and it fixed the problem. I went ahead and changed the blower motor a few days later just to be safe.

1645138072035.png

Lets see what the diagnostic dice say......It says go to the resource section of the forum. select 2001 service manual, section 24-14 will instruct you how to diagnose your blower resistor.

Ha. Yeah, I was just being lazy to see if anyone had the exact same symptoms first.

Ha. Yeah, I was just being lazy to see if anyone had the exact same symptoms first.
It’s either the resistor or the fan switch.
You can ohm out the resistor to see if any of the speeds are open.
I’ve had them go bad where any one speed 1-3 is inop. Speed 4 bypasses the resistor.
Also look at the connector to see if it’s burnt

Last edited:
Well looks like I guessed wrong on this one. Got a new resistor in from Amazon and installed. It’s still not blowing on the 3rd setting.

Well looks like I guessed wrong on this one. Got a new resistor in from Amazon and installed. It’s still not blowing on the 3rd setting.
Did you test your old resistor? Did you inspect the connector for a burnt/spread terminal? did you inspect the connector at the back of the HVAC control?
Look at page 8w-42-3 of the 2001 service manual, in the resource section. Ohm out circuit C6(light blue wire) end to end with a dmm. You should have less than 5 ohms end to end in that circuit.

Last edited:
I had a few minutes to further diagnose instead of throwing a part at it (I know, I know). I overlooked the plug going into the resistor. It had melted on one end. After doing a continuity test between the switch side of the connection to the resistor side, there was no continuity in the third post (where it was melted). I had continuity when I proved the line going into that position of the post. I guess they sell replacement plug/pigtails somewhere.

0D69A652-336D-4629-98F9-9B49491F6C48.jpeg

167589ED-99CD-4A4C-82B5-A2522DB86817.jpeg

Reactions: srimes
I had a few minutes to further diagnose instead of throwing a part at it (I know, I know). I overlooked the plug going into the resistor. It had melted on one end. After doing a continuity test between the switch side of the connection to the resistor side, there was no continuity in the third post (where it was melted). I had continuity when I proved the line going into that position of the post. I guess they sell replacement plug/pigtails somewhere.

View attachment 311729

View attachment 311730
I hate rubbing salt in a wound but see post #6:)

Reactions: P man
I hate rubbing salt in a wound but see post #6:)
yeah I know. This is probably the 9th or 10th TJ I’ve had and I’ve had to change the resistor on 2 others and a melted switch on one. First time I’ve had a melted pig tail. Which of course means nothing. Guess I will have a spare resistor. I’m sure not the last extra part I will have laying around. Now to find a pigtail that’s assembled and I don’t have to make up.

yeah I know. This is probably the 9th or 10th TJ I’ve had and I’ve had to change the resistor on 2 others and a melted switch on one. First time I’ve had a melted pig tail. Which of course means nothing. Guess I will have a spare resistor. I’m sure not the last extra part I will have laying around. Now to find a pigtail that’s assembled and I don’t have to make up.
Good luck with finding a new one. If Jeep is anything like Toyota, that pigtail is either unavailable, or made of unobtainium, and they are very proud of them.....