Fan clutch replacement recommendations

Careful! A lot of T-stat housings have coplanarity issues - possibly even most of them. If the one you have now is in good shape and it seals OK, I wouldn't replace it.

mine is kinda corroded, its still 'flat'. I torqued it to 15-18ft-lbs and its not leaking, at all. So maybe I'll just keep it and hope for the best? IDK.

Reactions: macleanflood
I can't hear shit...
That's funny. I recently said exactly that to my VA hearing doctor during my last annual hearing exam (I wear two VA provided hearing aids). At the end of the test she came into the hearing test room and she said with a grin "Ya know you're right, you can't hear worth a shit can you." We both busted up laughing at that. 100% true story this last December. :ROFLMAO:

what exactly is a jiggle valve on a Thermostat? I did drill an ⅛" hole in mine, and I use a 'burp bucket', which makes life soooo much simpler

what exactly is a jiggle valve on a Thermostat? I did drill an ⅛" hole in mine, and I use a 'burp bucket', which makes life soooo much simpler

On engines where the thermostat lays flat (think like a SBC where it sits on the intake manifold over the valley), the jiggle pin hangs from the hole under gravity and allows air to bleed as you fill, then closes when flow is present. On ours where the thermostat is horizontal, the pressure of the air closes the jiggler and renders it ineffective, which is why we drill even on stats that have one.

Reactions: Jmac00
On engines where the thermostat lays flat (think like a SBC where it sits on the intake manifold over the valley), the jiggle pin hangs from the hole under gravity and allows air to bleed as you fill, then closes when flow is present. On ours where the thermostat is horizontal, the pressure of the air closes the jiggler and renders it ineffective, which is why we drill even on stats that have one.

Thanx, that makes sense

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
ok, heres is where I am. I went and got the correct Thermostat, and I decided on a new housing, AND two gaskets AND Permatex gasket maker gooey stuff.

I pulled the old housing and the wrong stat, it was a 180° stat.

Drilled a ⅛" hole in the flange of the new 195° stat and installed it, and the new housing. The only thing I should have done is replaced the sensor. I used the old one.😭 It still works, so no biggy. I torqued the blots down to 18 Ft-Lbs, I figure two gaskets would require and extra little tweak of the wrench, Ran the engine for 15 minutes or so, and the temp gauge is just below the 210 mark, exactly where it should be. No runs, no drips, no errors ~~~ so far.

The Fan clutch is a Hayden, and as far as I can tell its quieter than the old one.

The Wobbly Jalopy is back on the trail and as good as ever.

1707106867128.png

1707106927533.png

Lol I meant two gaskets so you had an extra on hand when the first didn't seal up!

But hey...you might be on to something!

Great job! Your did what took me seven tries in one!

-Mac

• Haha
Reactions: Jmac00