Figuring it out, a Jeep build

Mikey89

Hello everyone! I am getting ready to start my build and wanted to document my progress as well as most likely ask questions as I go on.
So after finally paying off my Jeep I picked up in April 2017, I decided to get it fully inspected, only 3 years to late...well I came back with a quote for a $2700 fix for suspension and brake parts needing replaced and some engine seals. This sparked me to do these repairs and upgrades myself and thus, figure it out. This project is to install a 2.5” lift and 1” body lift.
Here she is on the day I got her
116CCDEE-8BA1-4FA6-A358-A59599CE9F13.jpeg

First upgrades I did was a ZJ conversion because my tie rod and drag link were slightly bent
6A3B8447-DA54-4C73-982C-87C3C8709E85.jpeg
058E1611-1C47-46ED-B2C9-31762C4B220E.jpeg

I decided on all my parts for my lift with the help of a few great members!
1E6BD197-28D2-4EE2-B9B7-E8DFEC242B1E.jpeg
Went with 2” OME heavy springs, Ranch RS55239/241 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects, JKS Rear sway links, Rough Country front and rear adjustable track bar, Savvy Body Lift, JKS 1” MML, and new jounce cups and bumpers because my cups are rusted or off and apparently have no bumpers since idk when. Anyways here are the current picks as of this evening. Wheels off, soaking in Liquid Wrench, and hoping for disassembly tomorrow! Wish me luck!
4D6AE50D-DF97-456A-B6B8-F88383241969.jpeg
47585AF3-0210-4BD5-879C-662C278B59DC.jpeg
9D62C73F-BA24-4291-AA94-FCBCEC115D54.jpeg

Good looking Sahara. The only thing in your build you might want to change is the JKS body lift. A lot of forum members have had it and it will squish over time. The better body mount lifts are made out of aluminum like the Savvy body lift.

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sav-bltj/
Yeah I Went Savvy, originally I was going JKS but someone mentioned the same. I chose JKS motor mount spacers though

So I have been researching and know that I need new buckets, anyone with experience or feedback about these
Front Buckets. I also thought about getting rear ones done too so I know the parts are all new, I was thinking about these rear Metalcloak Brackets. Any help or input would be amazing!

Quick update, I found someone who is confident they Can fabricate the new jounce tube for me so now I am waiting for them to have an opening to do the work. I got impatient and installed the front just to see what lift height will be looking like without the body lift and this is what I got
FB3BE5CF-11B1-4D5F-8B4F-E7F70F8511E6.jpeg

I have a little rake going on so I ordered some .75” spacers to see if that will level it more. Meanwhile I removed the front and it’s on jacks again to prevent and accident due to insufficient support. I found an amazing deal on 5 JK wheels/tires and the adapters for 250 to give me some 32’s to seat this on. Beyond happy for now and will probably use them for a year until I decide what wheel/tire combo I want for 33’s and 15’s. Now we just continue to wait.
D2FDB864-8666-462F-8D47-7DFFFB396225.jpeg
CED7F04A-3A36-4A8B-A339-DADC8D52A95F.jpeg

Doesn't the body lift mess with the transfer case linkage and require a cable shifter? I have the same lift waiting for my rear shocks to show up. I probably should order the front spacer since I plan on adding a winch.

I've got the Savvy body lift, cable shifter, mml, etc. As a phase 12 of the never ending phases.

I may do the ZJ upgrade in phase 15. :D

Doesn't the body lift mess with the transfer case linkage and require a cable shifter? I have the same lift waiting for my rear shocks to show up. I probably should order the front spacer since I plan on adding a winch.

I've got the Savvy body lift, cable shifter, mml, etc. As a phase 12 of the never ending phases.

I may do the ZJ upgrade in phase 15. :D
I have read that it might, I’m waiting a bit to put the BL on though. I know when I do it I’m gonna want bigger tires so I’ll do myself a favor and wait until I’m ready to be patient and spend again. This has been down for a few weeks now so I’m just ready to drive it lol

I would recommend you order the Savvy cable shifter. I just put the Savvy BL in mine and the linkage does twist up a bit causing a bind. You could get a bracket to drop it, but judging from the rust on your jounces I would guess your linkage was rusty like mine was. The factory linkage isn't a great set up anyway, the cable is much smoother. A worthy investment. If you order through amazon you don't have to pay the high shipping costs of Savvy (assuming you're a prime member).

Reactions: Mikey89
Yes you want some type of shifter kit for your Jeep after you do the body lift. It really SUCKS to have to lay in the mud under your Jeep and try to shift the transfer case into or put of 4WD. I've had it happen to me and I can tell you it isn't any FUN. The Savvy shifter cable is one way to do it but there are other options out there also. Just make sure you do some type of shifter mod.

Glad to see it's coming along well. You should have it back on the trail/road soon.

Great name for your build. That’s exactly how I feel. Just gonna figure it out as I go.
Thanks! With the exception of welding I did everything myself so I figured it was a suitable name. That’s my favorite part of it all, learning as I go so I know what to do in the future. The only other thing I won’t do is the alignment only because I haven’t gotten that level of trust with myself just yet lol

Why is there such a big rake on your lift picture? The rear looks jacked up way more than the front. I don’t think a .75” spacer would level it.

Why is there such a big rake on your lift picture? The rear looks jacked up way more than the front. I don’t think a .75” spacer would level it.
Don’t think it helps I’m on a slight decline, however there was definite rake. I just finished installing with the .75 spacer. I’m good with it now. About to post an update but will get a level picture later just to verify. I have no real flat spots at my house unfortunately

Well, she is all put together again. Will get more pictures on flat ground to see how bad rake is after installing .75 spacers but I like it. Will eventually go for more aggressive tires because I like the look and back down to 15” wheels, but hey I’m proud of myself. Test drives are tomorrow, setting alignment appointment, and working the little tweaks as they pop up. Future updates will be the 1” body lift I have, new control arms all around, and SYE kit. Thanks for the support so far!
9FD622C8-0989-4001-BDBE-1A1CDBCBF880.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman