Finally changed to "high mileage" oil

I put full synthetic Castrol Edge high mileage in and immediately got lifter tick until the temp got to a full 210. Drove it for several hundred miles and it never got better. Switched yesterday to Conventional Castrol GTX and it only ticks at startup. Give it a couple of days and I expect it to go away completely. Needless to say my 4.0 hates synthetic.

Reactions: sideproject
Jeeps sitting at 88k miles currently and likes to mark its territory. Based on age would it be best to start in on high mileage oil or just stick with conventional?

It couldn't hurt to try a high mileage conventional. :unsure:

Alright, you’re killing me. This is a slap to the forehead response, ha.

High Mileag Conventional oil….is what I’ve been using on my 05 TJ and it has helped immensely.

I could use hardened sludge in my 08 JK and it would leak a quart a week, MFER argh! Ha

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Alright, you’re killing me. This is a slap to the forehead response, ha.

High Mileag Conventional oil….is what I’ve been using on my 05 TJ and it has helped immensely.

I could use hardened sludge in my 08 JK and it would leak a quart a week, MFER argh! Ha

Which brand high mileage conventional are you using?

I was getting a different kind, but I went into OReilly and they have a High Mileage Conventional. I'm sure it's manufactured by someone for them, not sure whom. I have also used Napa that had one.

I haven't, but on my CJ5 V8 304, they all say "Zinc, get the ones with Zinc" over and over with the flat tappet cam, ha. I've not heard that with the TJ 4.0, probably because it doesn't have a flat tappet.
Can't hurt (famous last words), but I hate that Amazon doesn't say conventional, and frankly their descriptions aren't always accurate on that. It doesn't say synthetic or blend, that "used" to mean it's conventional.

I decided to use this Pennzoil High-Mileage conventional oil (red label) simply because it was the cheapest of the 'any reputable oil maker' recommendation and it fits the simple wisdom that Jerry mentions of using high mileage additives, etc.

As far as whether this product is synthetic blend or not. There are bottles that say synthetic blend, right next to it is this one that just says motor oil. I would figure if it was a synthetic oil Pennzoil would want to advertise that to help swoon the passing customer, whom largely believe synthetic is superior cuz mo' powa'.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford