Fire extinguisher

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Howdy All
I’m hoping none of you ever were in need of using a fire extinguisher, period, while your adrenaline is pumping, especially not on your rig !
- here’s an impressive product that a couple fellow JEEPERS and me installed on our rigs
- we opted for the model 50 , as it Sprays for 50 seconds and has all kinds of advantages over a regular fire extinguisher
- for those of you who install it on the roll cage of your vehicle, don’t follow my baad example by drilling the cage for bolting on the quick release base !!!!

Shtupid or what !?! 🧐

C3A82623-D5A6-4AB9-B209-0B4599441B50.jpeg
265D5267-1F61-4DE7-862D-1094D7938E0D.jpeg

There’s several YouTube clip testimonials available for review

www.Elementfire.com

ps: what kinda fire suppression are you folks relying on ?

DETOUR overnout

~•|||||•~👋🏿

If someone is looking at the element extinguisher there is a 15 % off Black Friday coupon.

F57B9243-899D-4BDA-8D9B-0591C20D392E.jpeg

I had a friend who is a Phoenix Fire Dept captain look at this extinguisher.
His opinion, other than cost, there is no drawback to this device. And if you need it, cost would be inconsequential.

After watching Element demonstration videos I don't think Id ever put one in the Jeep. Just too much chance of needing one when the wind is blowing hard. Looks like a good option for the garage or kitchen though.

Reactions: EzPeezy
After watching Element demonstration videos I don't think Id ever put one in the Jeep. Just too much chance of needing one when the wind is blowing hard. Looks like a good option for the garage or kitchen though.
Very possible that the considerably longer discharge time will allow you to reposition yourself.

During my dealership days I cleaned up and repaired well over a dozen under hood fires.
Cleaning up the left over chemical residue was without a doubt the worst part of the job.

I ordered one yesterday for the garage.

During my dealership days I cleaned up and repaired well over a dozen under hood fires.
Cleaning up the left over chemical residue was without a doubt the worst part of the job.

I ordered one yesterday for the garage.
Thats why I only carry BC extinguishers in vehicles. Much easier cleanup and no corrosives to destroy electrical systems.

I have a pair in the cab, one on each side of the seats by the door. I slit some 3/4" vinyl tube and screwed it to the floor. That holds the element just right and you can grab it fast enough. I still carry a 2.5lb extinguisher on the rear rack.

All the pics I have of this Jeep, no pic of the element mount!!

__5A9A7DA5-2217-4D0F-A316-9D0109B53459_zpsefsbjmwc.jpg

IMG_2373_zpskwn1wwlf.jpg

IMG_4532_zpssno4gp4w.jpg

Reactions: FireJeep and DETOUR
Thats why I only carry BC extinguishers in vehicles. Much easier cleanup and no corrosives to destroy electrical systems.
BC extinguishers is simply the class of fire they are rated for, A is combustible materials like wood, paper, etc., B is combustible liquids like gasoline, diesel, oil, plastic (it melts and becomes liquid and it is a petroleum product, ie. wire insulation), C is electrically charged equipment, D is combustible metals such as aluminum, titanium, magnesium, etc. Class A extinguishers tend to be water based, they may or may not have an additive to help the cooling effect of water "stick" to surfaces (this is what is used in aircraft firefighting as well as "class A foams" for house fires). There are several powder compositions on the market, collectively known as "dry chemical" or "dry chem" for short. "Purple K" used to be the gold standard, this is what is carried in the large wheeled extinguishers on airport crash fire rescue trucks. There is also some "exotic" chemical agents, Halon used to be very popular due to no clean up, it would inhibit the chemical chain reaction of the combustion process (ie. fire). It fell from favor when they discovered it depletes the ozone. Also, Halon 1211, when ingested into a diesel engine is converted to phosgene gas and is highly toxic. Class D extinguishers commonly use a substance called Metal X. They work by excluding oxygen and absorbing heat to stop the combustion process in flammable metals. (Yes I know there is a difference in "combustible" and "flammable", but for today discussion they are interchangeable).
At any rate, a "BC" extinguisher is still going to tend to be a dry chemical powder. Some may be CO2 but they require a large plastic horn to disperse the gas and cool/displace oxygen over the material burning. The minus 110° F. Also the quickly expanding gas create a significant amount of static electricity which can damage electronics. There are other agents for BC fires but they tend to be fairly pricey. To my knowledge, all the dry powders are pretty corrosive and are very finely granulated to allow them to penetrate to where the fire is.

Probably way more than you wanted or needed to know......

fire extinguisher would have the same issue with the wind......

The element is a pretty cool concept. Sodium Bicarb (ie. baking soda) with a water based propellent and a flammable catalyst to create the energy to expel it. A little pricey but if it saves your jeep.....well worth it.

Reactions: pc1p
20200819_102418.jpg

A local JKU guy had his t-case go kaboom this past summer - blowing ATF all over his exhaust and it started a fire. He said he only needed a single Element50 to extinguish it. I have been meaning to buy a few but keep forgetting - thanks for the reminder!