First Jeep (2004 Rubicon)

dmbeck

Supporting Member
Good morning all, I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time learning on this forum from now on so I figured I'd introduce myself. My dad has a JKU and a TJ rubicon and after playing around with those I got the itch to find a TJ myself. The boss also enjoys cruising on sunny days and we just welcomed our first child into the world in September so we are looking forward to spending time as a family in our newly acquired 2004 TJ rubicon.
2004 rubicon.jpg

rubicons.jpg

As for the Jeep itself my dad actually found it for a friend last spring and the guy had it for about 7 months then decided to order a new willy's so I purchased the rubicon from him. It's been in the south it's entire life, only 63k miles and the frame is still in good shape with no rust. I'm still undecided on what route I want to go with it in the future but I'm sure a small lift and new wheels/tires will come at some point. For now I'd like to spend a year or so researching and enjoying it on sunny days, it'll get to live in the garage with the top off.

I did pick up some half doors yesterday that are in decent shape, I'll probably replace the uppers to match the new top I have. The only issue with them is that the door panels are tan and my Jeep actually has khaki interior. The price and exterior color was right so I went ahead and bought them but if anyone has a set of khaki door panels in good shape they want to trade then I'm in.

tan door panel.jpg

Thanks guys, first order of business is to get it waxed and take care of the fading from the original pin stripes. Then I would like to get the half doors mounted up and see how they look. The half doors got some scratches so I might have them painted and get the fender flares paint matched also, decisions decisions.

Hunting season is finally over and I think the weather will be nice enough this weekend that I can bring the jeep home without driving it through a bunch of salt. I've been itching to get started on this thing so I'm ready for a cruise on the first decent day we get.

So far I've picked up a set of 265/75/r16 load range-C Duratracs of FB for $750 so it's looking like I'm keeping the stock moabs. The more research I've done the more I'm wanting to keep this thing looking as close to stock as possible. I like what I've read about @CodaMan build along with others that have done similar so I plan to go that route and I have a list together and plan to order next week. I was able to do some measuring last week and I feel like this setup will get me close to what I'm wanting for looks wise while also making it drivable and functional for my wife and daughter. Let me know if anyone sees something I've missed or has any other recommendations, this will be a first for me but doesn't look like anything I can't handle.

OME 2933 front springs
OME 2941 rear springs
Rancho RS55128 and RS 55240 shocks
Spacers for leveling front end
JKS adjustable front track bar
JKS rear track bar relocation bracket

Also I'm thinking while I have time (and I'm also bored this time of year) I plan on setting this thing on jack stands in the barn and touching up the axles and possibly the frame. The frame is in great shape, almost zero rust so I kind of hate to hit it but the axls and some other parts could use some love to look as good as the frame.

With 32s.jpg

Reactions: JMT and SoCalGlide
Keep us updated of your build! Meanwhile, you can also share some specs of your father's TJ if you want as from the pictures seems like a nice built as well.

Reactions: dmbeck
Keep us updated of your build! Meanwhile, you can also share some specs of your father's TJ if you want as from the pictures seems like a nice built as well.
Dad lingers on here but doesn't post much so I'll share his Rubi for him. It's a 2005, he picked it up last spring with 43k original miles. It already had a 4" RC lift which he hasn't changed but he has added the pintlers, winch, front and rear AEV bumpers, and N-fab steps. First picture was from when he brought it home about a year ago, second is how it sits today.

Silver Rubi Original.jpg

Silver Rubi.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Woodrow and PRNDL
Finally got started on my mild build, man I feel like a wimp the more I read through the awesome build threads on this forum. Got the jeep on stands Saturday and the more I looked it over the more I realized it's in even better shape than I thought. I decided it's in my best interest for now to leave almost everything unmolested, I had thoughts of painting the frame and really trying to go all out on this but I think that would be a crime and not needed at this point. Once I get it back outside a good cleaning should get everything looking new, I wish I would have done this before pulling it into the barn but oh well. The axles were the only thing I saw that looked like they needed some love so I used a wire wheel on the front one for a couple hours then taped everything off and hit it with some Krylon rust tough semi-flat black. I plan to do the rear one next weekend, I'm trying to take my time and do the best job possible which is new for me and my adhd. The paint is fresh in the picture below, once it dried I'm sure it will be closer to the rest of the components.
tj.jpg

tj1.jpg

tj3.jpg

tj4.jpg

I made a list the other night and started ordering parts, hopefully I get this thing back on 4 wheels in the next couple weeks then it's onto a buff job and deciding what to do for a winch mounting plate. Also I almost forgot the best news so far, I found a set of half doors on spacebook with khaki door panels and the guy actually was able to find someone who wanted the doors so I scored a set of the illusive khaki half door panels in great shape for only $300. I got new pins coming so I can get the doors mounted and then it's off to the painter for a fresh coat of flame red before I mount the panels. To go along with that I have a near perfect set of tan half door panels that I'll be ready to sell in the next couple days.

Side note, I ended up just breaking the shaft on the factory shocks to get them off. That top mount had to be the rustiest item on the jeep and after rounding it off with a 1/4" wrench and channel locks I got made and ripped them out. I could see that turning into a totally frustrating day long project to remove 1 rusty nut.

Made some progress the weekend, front end is not back together minus JKS sway bar disconnects. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not taking good measurements before I started this, I feel like I've gained more height than I expected but I have no way of knowing. I hope to get the rear axle painted this week and get it back on all 4's this weekend. This forum has been a great help, any time I question something or want to double check what I'm doing I just do a search on my phone, everything I've needed to look for I've found here so easily.
front axle.jpg
front end.jpg

One thing I did find yesterday is that when I was dropping the rear axle down to take off the shocks and springs the track bar was hitting the exhaust and limiting my down travel by a lot. I took the top bolt out to get done what I needed but I'm going to have to look a this when I start putting everything back together. I'm planning on doing the JKS relocation bracket in the back so I don't know if that will make it better but I'm doubting it. A previous owner put a flowmaster exhaust on this thing so maybe the routing is different than factory and causing an interference.

Thought I would get this thing back to road ready this weekend but my own mistakes prevented that from happening. First off I wasn't paying attention and ordered jks sway bar links for 0-2" lift so now I'm waiting on longer ones. Then since I used a JKS adjustable front track bar I thought I would order the JKS rear track bar relocation bracket. I quickly learned after I got it mounted that it won't work since I'm only doing a 2.5" lift and not rotating the pinion so now I'm waiting on a straight bracket for the rear. The good news is everything else is done, torqued to factory specs, and aligned. I have the full doors back on for now and the half doors are going to the paint shop this week. I did notice yesterday that the driver side is sitting about 1/2" higher than the passenger side in the front, could this because the sway bar isn't connected or because of the OME springs compensating for a driver?

alignment.jpg
on ground.jpg

Nice!
I did notice yesterday that the driver side is sitting about 1/2" higher than the passenger side in the front, could this because the sway bar isn't connected or because of the OME springs compensating for a driver?
I'll let the more experienced ones comment on the 1/2'' difference in ride height. FWIW, I have never heard that springs compensate for the driver as they are not marked right and left rather than being he same part number.

I have an OME lift myself and after a couple of years, I decided last year to correct my front driveline by getting a JKS adjustable track bar. Having said that, although I did notice the the front axle being off center before installing the track bar, I never noticed a difference in ride height. To be honest, I never measured, but I trust my OCD would have spotted it. :geek:

I haven't been in a huge hurry to get finished up since the weather has been on the colder side and I had to do some traveling for work, but I did manage to wrap up the lift yesterday and get the Rubi out of the barn. I gave it a quick bath and then took it out for a ride and bedded the new brakes. Good news is it drove great and stopped well, I was a little nervous about the 60-rolling aggressive stops after having everything apart. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it's not as big as I would personally like to go, but I feel like it looks great and is very friendly to drive (which was the goal since I want this to be something the wife enjoys driving also).

I've got a ton of ideas in my head for additional mods, grabars went on yesterday, but I'm going to take my time and enjoy driving it some now that it's back on all 4. My half doors should be back from the paint shop this week so I'll get those assembled and ready to hang. Once I got the rear track bar installed and the sway bar links connected then the 1/2" body lean went away so I was happy about that. I appreciate all of the help that I've gotten from this forum, I've gotten so many answers on here without having to even ask a question, at any point that I've questioned something I've instantly been able to search and find the answer I need on this forum. It's been a blast having a vehicle that I work on again, I'm looking forward to always having something to mess with now.

On deck for this week is a light/medium buff and wax, there's some imperfections and fading from previous pin stripes that I want to go ahead and correct. Also I want to switch the Rubicon decals on the hood back to silver, the PO put the black ones on and I it's bothering me because I it's not matching to the factory spec. Finally has anyone used McGard 6400 lug nuts on the factory moab wheels? They seemed to be recommended replacements but I'm concerned that the cone area isn't as wide as the factory lugs, the factory ones had a shoulder on them so there was a larger cone contact area with the wheel (I hope I explained that correctly).

finished.jpg
finished2.jpg

I haven't been in a huge hurry to get finished up since the weather has been on the colder side and I had to do some traveling for work, but I did manage to wrap up the lift yesterday and get the Rubi out of the barn. I gave it a quick bath and then took it out for a ride and bedded the new brakes. Good news is it drove great and stopped well, I was a little nervous about the 60-rolling aggressive stops after having everything apart. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it's not as big as I would personally like to go, but I feel like it looks great and is very friendly to drive (which was the goal since I want this to be something the wife enjoys driving also).

I've got a ton of ideas in my head for additional mods, grabars went on yesterday, but I'm going to take my time and enjoy driving it some now that it's back on all 4. My half doors should be back from the paint shop this week so I'll get those assembled and ready to hang. Once I got the rear track bar installed and the sway bar links connected then the 1/2" body lean went away so I was happy about that. I appreciate all of the help that I've gotten from this forum, I've gotten so many answers on here without having to even ask a question, at any point that I've questioned something I've instantly been able to search and find the answer I need on this forum. It's been a blast having a vehicle that I work on again, I'm looking forward to always having something to mess with now.

On deck for this week is a light/medium buff and wax, there's some imperfections and fading from previous pin stripes that I want to go ahead and correct. Also I want to switch the Rubicon decals on the hood back to silver, the PO put the black ones on and I it's bothering me because I it's not matching to the factory spec. Finally has anyone used McGard 6400 lug nuts on the factory moab wheels? They seemed to be recommended replacements but I'm concerned that the cone area isn't as wide as the factory lugs, the factory ones had a shoulder on them so there was a larger cone contact area with the wheel (I hope I explained that correctly).

View attachment 318866View attachment 318867

Very nice and clean. Keep the Rubi decals in black though IMO. ;)

Dad and I spent Friday night completing the buff/wax job, we used pretty much the same process that @Irun used on the light and nimble TJ. It made a night and day difference, the flame red came back to life and almost all evidence from previous decals and pinstripes is gone. I should have got some pictures yesterday when it was sunny but we were busy cleaning and rearranging the garage so we can fit the jeep and the wife's acadia inside now. I also switched the rubicon stickers on the hood back to silver, at this point I wouldn't change a thing that I have done, it runs and looks awesome. Now we're ready for warmer weather so we can enjoy some time with the top down.
finished 3.jpg

It’s been a fun summer with the TJ. I just put the full doors back on for winter along with the soft top. I realized I haven’t posted a picture with the rock crawler bumpers and winch so here it is. I think the only project I have on deck for this winter is a new stereo. I’d like something with Apple car play, all the speakers need replaced, and the sub is gone. I figured this would make a good project to keep me occupied after the holidays.

731CF3B5-7F4A-42C6-B8C0-5A17B2B2425F.jpeg