First Jeep

DaveydTJ

Hi TJ Dudes!
I just bought my dad's 2001 TJ Sport. He moved to a retirement community up in Medford, OR and decided his 84 year old legs were tired of climbing in and out of the TJ.
He and I used it to explore all of the trails around Yreka, CA, Mt. Shasta, etc, where he lived for 30 years. He kept it clean, maintained and garaged since he bought it new. It has 48K miles on the clock and no rust at all.

Of course, I can't help myself and took the stock TJ 4.0 w/ 3sp auto and 3.07s and added a Currie 4" lift with DA upper arms, F / R Currie track bars, Front Antirock, SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, 33x12.5x15 Patagonia M/T-02s on 15x8 steel wheels , Dirtworx rear carrier, Rockhard OR front bumper, Badlands Apex winch (was running out of money at this point), and a decent stereo....

Next up is a regear to 4.11s and some armor. I am trying to decide is I should go find an old Dana 44 to build, use a Super 35 kit or just buy some built axle. Seems like by the time you build an old axle, a couple grand more will get you a brand new built unit from Currie, ECGS, or other. Don't know which way to go and will never run more than a 35" tire. Since I don't have lockers, I'm likely going to just wheel it as is for a bit. When I do go lockers, I was thinking Eaton E-locker in back and maybe just a Detroit in front. Not sure the best way to go.

I live in the East Bay Area near the Delta. Also like to wrench on my 98 M3, '00 C5 Corvette, '94 Camaro and '02 Suburban.

Looking forward to learning!

Dave

DSC_1827.JPG

Hi TJ Dudes!
I just bought my dad's 2001 TJ Sport. He moved to a retirement community up in Medford, OR and decided his 84 year old legs were tired of climbing in and out of the TJ.
He and I used it to explore all of the trails around Yreka, CA, Mt. Shasta, etc, where he lived for 30 years. He kept it clean, maintained and garaged since he bought it new. It has 48K miles on the clock and no rust at all.

Of course, I can't help myself and took the stock TJ 4.0 w/ 3sp auto and 3.07s and added a Currie 4" lift with DA upper arms, F / R Currie track bars, Front Antirock, SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, 33x12.5x15 Patagonia M/T-02s on 15x8 steel wheels , Dirtworx rear carrier, Rockhard OR front bumper, Badlands Apex winch (was running out of money at this point), and a decent stereo....

Next up is a regear to 4.11s and some armor. I am trying to decide is I should go find an old Dana 44 to build, use a Super 35 kit or just buy some built axle. Seems like by the time you build an old axle, a couple grand more will get you a brand new built unit from Currie, ECGS, or other. Don't know which way to go and will never run more than a 35" tire. Since I don't have lockers, I'm likely going to just wheel it as is for a bit. When I do go lockers, I was thinking Eaton E-locker in back and maybe just a Detroit in front. Not sure the best way to go.

I live in the East Bay Area near the Delta. Also like to wrench on my 98 M3, '00 C5 Corvette, '94 Camaro and '02 Suburban.

Dave

View attachment 439233

Welcome!
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Hey davey👋 have you considered some 4.10 geared 4 cyl axles for cheap? Then add super 35 and front cromos?

Are you sure it has 3.07s? I thought the autos came with 3.73s? 4.10 isn't much of a difference.

Btw everyone, I'm no relation to daveyd 😂

Hey davey👋 have you considered some 4.10 geared 4 cyl axles for cheap? Then add super 35 and front cromos?

Are you sure it has 3.07s? I thought the autos came with 3.73s? 4.10 isn't much of a difference.

Btw everyone, I'm no relation to daveyd 😂

That's a cool idea! I've been thinking about the Super 35 from Revolution. I'm torn because I hear guys on here like @Jerry Bransford saying they are great (and that carries a lot of weight based on his rep here). Then the guys from Currie and my local diff shop say I'm just throwing good maney at a bad idea and once I throw a locker on there it is just a matter of time before I have to upgrade. I'm new to this and want to learn the jeep just wheeling it as is for now with open diffs. I'll never go past a 35" tire. The 3.07s are an absolute dog though with 33s. My build sheet says 3.07s. I think the manual had 3.73s. I think my next buy will be some basic armor like Savvy or Genright sliders and fuel tank and oil pan skids. Appreciate the ideas!!!

That's a cool idea! I've been thinking about the Super 35 from Revolution. I'm torn because I hear guys on here like @Jerry Bransford saying they are great (and that carries a lot of weight based on his rep here). Then the guys from Currie and my local diff shop say I'm just throwing good maney at a bad idea and once I throw a locker on there it is just a matter of time before I have to upgrade. I'm new to this and want to learn the jeep just wheeling it as is for now with open diffs. I'll never go past a 35" tire. The 3.07s are an absolute dog though with 33s. My build sheet says 3.07s. I think the manual had 3.73s. I think my next buy will be some basic armor like Savvy or Genright sliders and fuel tank and oil pan skids. Appreciate the ideas!!!

I wonder if it was special order? The manuals usually came with 3.07s. I can attest to them being terrible with 33s. 5th gear was unusable. I cruised 75 in 4th gear driving my jeep home when i bought it

I wonder if it was special order? The manuals usually came with 3.07s. I can attest to them being terrible with 33s. 5th gear was unusable. I cruised 75 in 4th gear driving my jeep home when i bought it

I'm going off of the VIN lookup on Jeep.com where it says 3.07 rear axle. Maybe 3.73 was a Rubicon standard option with the auto?

Hi TJ Dudes!

Dave

View attachment 439233

If you're eventually going to 35's (as you mention that will be your biggest tire) you want to go ahead and regear at 4.56 so you aren't doing it again later.

That's a cool idea! I've been thinking about the Super 35 from Revolution. I'm torn because I hear guys on here like @Jerry Bransford saying they are great (and that carries a lot of weight based on his rep here). Then the guys from Currie and my local diff shop say I'm just throwing good maney at a bad idea and once I throw a locker on there it is just a matter of time before I have to upgrade. I'm new to this and want to learn the jeep just wheeling it as is for now with open diffs. I'll never go past a 35" tire.
Those who actually understand the Super 35 and understand what it is will always say the Super 35 kit is a solid upgrade for the Dana 35 for up to 35" tires and a rear locker. A Super 35 kit upgrades the axle shafts to 30 spline 1541H heat treated axle shafts which are slightly stronger than what comes in a Dana 44 which comes with carbon steel 30 spline shafts. The Super 35 kit was well tested on the rock crawling trails in Johnson Valley CA and its trails are far tougher than 99.9% of offroaders would have the balls to go on. And not everyone at Currie and few at diff shops know anything about it other than what their cousin Billy Bob said..

Those who actually understand the Super 35 and understand what it is will always say the Super 35 kit is a solid upgrade for the Dana 35 for up to 35" tires and a rear locker. A Super 35 kit upgrades the axle shafts to 30 spline 1541H heat treated axle shafts which are slightly stronger than what comes in a Dana 44 which comes with carbon steel 30 spline shafts. The Super 35 kit was well tested on the rock crawling trails in Johnson Valley CA and its trails are far tougher than 99.9% of offroaders would have the balls to go on. And not everyone at Currie and few at diff shops know anything about it other than what their cousin Billy Bob said..

A fellow forum member put his Super 35 through heck out here in Arizona.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry, thanks for your input, and contributions in general. Many of my selections have been influenced by input from you, Mr. Blaine, Chris, etc. If I am realistic about how I will use the Jeep, the Super 35 sounds like the way to go. Assuming I will need to upgrade front axles as well for the Dana 30.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry, thanks for your input, and contributions in general. Many of my selections have been influenced by input from you, Mr. Blaine, Chris, etc. If I am realistic about how I will use the Jeep, the Super 35 sounds like the way to go. Assuming I will need to upgrade front axles as well for the Dana 30.
The front Dana 30 is normally ok with 35's until/if a locker is installed into it. Then it just needs a simple chromoly axle shaft upgrade.

Reactions: Rickyd