First metal saw thoughts

fixmysix

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any recommendations for a first metal saw? I've been looking at horizontal band saws and the cold saws like the evolution. Budget is $3-400, less if I can get away with it. I know the abrasive saws are cheaper but also much noisier and messier. I'm trying to avoid totally pissing my neighbors off. What would you recommend as a good versatile saw if you were going to start with just one? I like the idea of the band saw because they can be flipped vertical with a table and you can cut tabs and other pieces with it, maybe? I have a pretty well stocked wood shop but am new to the metal game. Thanks.

Check out this saw and the thread detailing the owners experience with it.

https://offroadpassport.com/forums/topic/4423-14quot-dry-cut-metal-saw-on-sale/
I know the two saw owners that posted in this thread and can speak to their expertise.

I have used this exact model saw and I liked it much better then the abrasive DeWalt model I had access to in Michigan.

Nothing wrong with a portable bandsaw with a table either. Kinda depends on what you intend to cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: fixmysix
I use this band saw I restored with a skip tooth blade for cutting Aluminum.
6FC7E973-6E49-4B10-BAC0-A82EEAF0557C.jpeg

Yes, I disconnect the dust collection before cutting any non ferrous material.

I use this saber saw for steel. With the proper blade and speed, I’ve cut a lot of 1/4” material as well as 5/16” and even a bit of 3/8”.

62D7354C-B2E8-468A-AA87-B5E5CB85B1D3.jpeg

However, I still want a cold saw!

Reactions: fixmysix
I like the multi tasker ability of the porta band, but how is it for making clean miters and square cuts?
Nate from Dirt lifestyle on YouTube uses one extensively so it must do ok.

I used to work at DoALL saws and if I was buying a band saw I’d get the Milwaukee or a harbor freight and enjoy it. The blades are the key.

Nate from Dirt lifestyle on YouTube uses one extensively so it must do ok.

I used to work at DoALL saws and if I was buying a band saw I’d get the Milwaukee or a harbor freight and enjoy it. The blades are the key.
My father-in-law worked for DoAll in Portland, Ore for 30 yrs.in saws as well. Name was Bill Starr.🤔 small world.

My father-in-law worked for DoAll in Portland, Ore for 30 yrs.in saws as well. Name was Bill Starr.🤔 small world.
Awesome, I was only there for a short time and recently. They used to be an impressive company. They even had a girl that handed out warm donuts at one time.

DoAll saws were excellent! We had a lot of them where I used to work, old models but they just flat out worked!

I liked their blade welder better than other brands.

DoAll saws were excellent! We had a lot of them where I used to work, old models but they just flat out worked!

I liked their blade welder better than other brands.
Blade welder is cool. Watched them get built and tested. Their Zephyr’s are amazing (still US made) also.

Reactions: jgaz
One more saw to muddy the waters.
https://www.sawblade.com/order-circular-saws.cfm
I used this saw at last years SEMA show in Vegas. It felt really well made. Did a nice job on miter cuts. They were offering a sweet price on the show demo models. If I had been staying for the whole show it probably would have followed me home.

I used this saw at last years SEMA show in Vegas. It felt really well made. Did a nice job on miter cuts. They were offering a sweet price on the show demo models. If I had been staying for the whole show it probably would have followed me home.
Those blades can be pricey

Blade welder is cool. Watched them get built and tested. Their Zephyr’s are amazing (still US made) also.
A blade welder is a great way (sometimes almost the only way) to cut the center out of a plate for a fixture etc. when you don’t have access to a mill.

Reactions: Apparition
I guess my question is, which would be more versatile? That carbide saw or a band saw? Or is it the kind of thing where you just kind of need both? Or are hand cuts with a porta band close enough on say 45 degree miters on square tubing.

I see lots of recommendations for Dewalt and Evolution "cold" saws. They aren't really cold saws but carbide tooth saw blades saws that run a lower arbor speed to make them work with the carbide tooth blades. I can tell immediately if someone knows anything about the saw technology if they recommend either of them since they are pretty much bottom of the barrel compared to the Makita. I've been using the Makita saw for at least 12 years and I've gone through at least 30 blades. My only complaint is I wish it was a 14" saw at times but that is only a few times a year. It is also something I use almost daily.

I used the Dewalt when I broke my Makita. It was a loaner, it was nearly new and I would buy a Makita before I would use a free Dewalt for more than a couple of cuts.

My helper's brother is a cheap ass and bought the Evolution. Helper reports the same as me, he would buy a Makita (and did) before taking a free Evolution long term.

One thing that I don't see mentioned often is the accuracy and precision of this type cold saw or at least the Makita. With an abrasive saw, you can't take a smidge off the end of a piece. The shortest cut you can make is the width of the blade plus some so the blade doesn't just walk out of the cut and off to the side.

With the Makita, you can cut .010 off the end of something that fits in the vise.

The best deal going on blades are by Freud. Their Demon blades for steel are the best so far. Especially the best value per cut. To date they are the fastest cutting and are the cheapest price. Pretty hard to beat. Not knowing if this is an anomaly, I snagged 6 of them to put on the shelf because I still don't believe a 50 dollar blade works this well and they may figure that out and raise the price.

You can't get by with one saw but if you have to pick one, get a cut off saw.

I see lots of recommendations for Dewalt and Evolution "cold" saws. They aren't really cold saws but carbide tooth saw blades saws that run a lower arbor speed to make them work with the carbide tooth blades. I can tell immediately if someone knows anything about the saw technology if they recommend either of them since they are pretty much bottom of the barrel compared to the Makita. I've been using the Makita saw for at least 12 years and I've gone through at least 30 blades. My only complaint is I wish it was a 14" saw at times but that is only a few times a year. It is also something I use almost daily.

I used the Dewalt when I broke my Makita. It was a loaner, it was nearly new and I would buy a Makita before I would use a free Dewalt for more than a couple of cuts.

My helper's brother is a cheap ass and bought the Evolution. Helper reports the same as me, he would buy a Makita (and did) before taking a free Evolution long term.

One thing that I don't see mentioned often is the accuracy and precision of this type cold saw or at least the Makita. With an abrasive saw, you can't take a smidge off the end of a piece. The shortest cut you can make is the width of the blade plus some so the blade doesn't just walk out of the cut and off to the side.

With the Makita, you can cut .010 off the end of something that fits in the vise.

The best deal going on blades are by Freud. Their Demon blades for steel are the best so far. Especially the best value per cut. To date they are the fastest cutting and are the cheapest price. Pretty hard to beat. Not knowing if this is an anomaly, I snagged 6 of them to put on the shelf because I still don't believe a 50 dollar blade works this well and they may figure that out and raise the price.

You can't get by with one saw but if you have to pick one, get a cut off saw.
Got it. So look at the Makitas. What would the next saw be in your opinion? Not building a full production shop, but a decent hobby tool set.

Any recommendations for a first metal saw? I've been looking at horizontal band saws and the cold saws like the evolution. Budget is $3-400, less if I can get away with it. I know the abrasive saws are cheaper but also much noisier and messier. I'm trying to avoid totally pissing my neighbors off. What would you recommend as a good versatile saw if you were going to start with just one? I like the idea of the band saw because they can be flipped vertical with a table and you can cut tabs and other pieces with it, maybe? I have a pretty well stocked wood shop but am new to the metal game. Thanks.

If you decide to go with a horizontal band saw, try to get one with a swivel head. I started out with a standard horizontal saw and the problem is that when cutting angles on long stock, unless you have sufficient floor space you end up physically rotating the saw simply because you can't "swing" the metal. I later bought a swivel head (just above your budget) and within the often tight confines of my garage I can rotate the head to any angle I want without moving the saw or the metal.

I have many ways of cutting metal but the above along with cutting discs on an angle grinder are the ones I use the most. I had an abrasive chop saw for about a month and got rid of it for the reasons you cited (noise & mess).

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-bandsaw-4-1-2in-with-swivel-csa-cx109.html

Reactions: fixmysix and jgaz
If you decide to go with a horizontal band saw, try to get one with a swivel head. I started out with a standard horizontal saw and the problem is that when cutting angles on long stock, unless you have sufficient floor space you end up physically rotating the saw simply because you can't "swing" the metal. I later bought a swivel head (just above your budget) and within the often tight confines of my garage I can rotate the head to any angle I want without moving the saw or the metal.

I have many ways of cutting metal but the above along with cutting discs on an angle grinder are the ones I use the most. I had an abrasive chop saw for about a month and got rid of it for the reasons you cited (noise & mess).

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-bandsaw-4-1-2in-with-swivel-csa-cx109.html
I didn't even think about that issue. Looks like you have a pretty sweet saw there. Makes me think you could build a base and use an old unit bearing in the middle. Put the saw on a carousel set up so you could easily swing it. Probably more work than it would be worth, but building it would be fun. I think I might go with the carbide cut off saw for now, and look at the saw you suggested as my needs and skills (and budget) improve. I like that swivel head feature.