First time Jeep owner with a few questions about lift and tires

Ataxium

Supporting Member
Hey guys, I just picked up an 06 X, all stock.
I'm looking to do some upgrades on it and first thing I'm leaning towards is a lift with bigger wheels.
So my first question, since I'm planning on getting 32s off of a JK, will a 2" suspension lift, with 1.5 or 2" spacers be enough to accommodate these wheels?
I've already learned the RC lift kits are notoriously, well, rough. And I've seen some posts highly suggesting the Rancho 5500(X?) shocks. If I get a set of those (designed for 2" lift) with the RC 2" lift springs, would that help smooth out the ride on it? I wouldn't think the springs themselves would make a massive difference. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't plan on doing much, if any offroading in this, just to clarify.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
A 2" lift will clear 32s just fine. To fit the JK wheels, you'll need some wheel adapters. You'll need to find out what backspacing the JK wheels are, but if they are the typical 6.25", then a 1.5" or 2" spacer would be enough to put you where you need to be.

Yes, Rancho RS5000X shocks paired with RC 2" springs would be a good ride. You may want to check this thread out as well: How can I fix a harsh ride on my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new TJ!

Reactions: MaloStapalo
A 2" lift will clear 32s just fine. To fit the JK wheels, you'll need some wheel adapters. You'll need to find out what backspacing the JK wheels are, but if they are the typical 6.25", then a 1.5" or 2" spacer would be enough to put you where you need to be.

Yes, Rancho RS5000X shocks paired with RC 2" springs would be a good ride. You may want to check this thread out as well: How can I fix a harsh ride on my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new TJ!
Appreciate the quick response!
Thanks for answering those for me, I've got one more quick question.
Any recommendations on a brand of spacers? I don't want to mess with eBay specials on something as crucial as wheels. Not taking a chance on one of them giving out on the highway or something like that.

Just make sure your adapters are billet and not cast. I've been running these for a over a year...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They are 1.25" thick. I know a few others are running them too...@chris. If you want to spend the money and have no doubt...spydertrax makes the best ones in the biz...

2" of lift with JK wheels and tires is a good set-up...

1546699678394.png

Good call on the shocks.
If it's in your plans I would recomend a better spring like OME. Rough Country do the job but OME allows you to select from several different springs that can be more tailored to your Jeep. Springs are important when you start factoring in weight. Bumpers, hardtops, armor, ect... can add up quickly. I have run both. Rough Country isn't bad but you do get what you pay for.

Just make sure your adapters are billet and not cast. I've been running these for a over a year...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They are 1.25" thick. I know a few others are running them too...@chris. If you want to spend the money and have no doubt...spydertrax makes the best ones in the biz...

2" of lift with JK wheels and tires is a good set-up...

View attachment 70782

X2. I run these same ones. You won’t have any issues with them. They are billet, not cast, which is the important part.

The cheap ones people have issues with seem to always be cast.

Thanks again for the responses guys. Gives me a good starting point here. Much appreciated!