First time TJ owner: question on transmission mount

Still a good chance the mount is bad. When I first got my TJ I had the same issue. When I removed the skid to check the transmission mount the rubber had split in two.

When you start off and release the clutch does your transfer case shifter move, make popping noises at all? If it does your transmission mount is allowing movement.

Before you attempt to remove the skid and mount bolts spray them with some penetrating oil like PB Blaster first and let them soak.

Last edited:
it could still potentially be that mount i suppose, looks a little rough in there.
Then check motor mounts (and their attachments).
Thanks I checked the motor mounts and they look new. The transmission mount does look rough and I have ordered a replacement.

Still a good chance the mount is bad. When I first got my TJ I had the same issue. When I removed the skid to check the transmission mount the rubber had split in two.

When you start off and release the clutch does your transfer case shifter move, make popping noises at all? If it does your transmission mount is allowing movement.

Before you attempt to remove the skid and mount bolts spray them with some penetrating oil like PB Blaster first and let them soak.
Today I test drive some more and I did hear some clattering if I don't feather the clutch. I did not notice the transfer case shifter move but I will pay closer attention to it next time. And I will start the pb blaster treatment today. Thanks for the advice!

Well I took off the old transmission mount. It didn't look terrible:
16344078561137689334431449246462.jpg

It is definitely less rigid than the replacement. But it takes both hands to wiggle it. Gonna install the new one anyway and see what I get.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Vasq
Well I took off the old transmission mount. It didn't look terrible:
View attachment 284082

It is definitely less rigid than the replacement. But it takes both hands to wiggle it. Gonna install the new one anyway and see what I get.
I'd keep the old one for a bit in case the new one is too stiff? What brand did you go with for the replacement?

I got the new transmission mount installed and first gear starts are way smoother! Almost no shake and no audible noises. Good stuff!
By the way one thing that threw me is all the videos I have seen online show the transmission mount bolts coming through the skid. But on my 97 they are resessed.
20211016_144448.jpg

Reactions: Vasq
I got the new transmission mount installed and first gear starts are way smoother! Almost no shake and no audible noises. Good stuff!
By the way one thing that threw me is all the videos I have seen online show the transmission mount bolts coming through the skid. But on my 97 they are resessed.
View attachment 284108
They're recessed thru the outer layer of the skid to protect the nuts (lol). They should engage the smaller slots towards the inside of the skid. This is what effectively mounts the drivetrain to the Jeep frame (via the belly skid).

They're recessed thru the outer layer of the skid to protect the nuts (lol). They should engage the smaller slots towards the inside of the skid. This is what effectively mounts the drivetrain to the Jeep frame (via the belly skid).
Yeah recessed makes more sense. But in the videos I watched they were not recessed.
Example: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTURQiFnU_U&ved=2ahUKEwil-cbL2c_zAhV7gnIEHQr0DtMQwqsBegQIBRAF&usg=AOvVaw2sWbG7m5OS0M3Qw9aWA8DG

I know Jeep changed the belly skid design, I wanna say for the '03 and newer models. That's definitely a new style skid in the video. I wasn't aware that the design change included omitting the recessed nuts.

This is the skid off my '98. It should be the same as yours.
16344206082612281393373625448977.jpg