First TJ!

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay so I have been looking for a TJ for two months. My first stick btw. I ended up finding someone on FB and he sold it to me for 6000$. The Jeep looked like it was in good condition so me and my dad drove two hours from home to pick it up. It is a 2000 Sport 4.0 with 145000. It doesn’t have any bad rust just minor. The drive is good. Or should I say WAS good. After driving it for three days, I noticed that the Jeep would display “check gauges” and the oil level would drop to 0 for a second or two, over bumpy roads. Also today on the highway I was doing about 60 where it did it again but this time the engine cut off and I lost power steering and gas so I pulled over to the side. Stopped, and then tried to turn it on again. It clanked 2-3 times and then turned on. I contacted the seller and he told me that has never happened to him before, so I drive home and the coolant level rises to the red. I turn it off check my coolant level to see it’s full and the fan works but blowing really hot air, so I have no idea what is wrong here. If anyone could just help me out or knows about this more than I do I would really appreciate it.

Also was this a good deal or not?

AD8FFE9F-28E0-46AF-9CA3-2A90CAAA2335.jpeg

E2346D96-7240-4348-9F06-0F3830367B3F.jpeg

7CA9D331-8A3E-46F9-99CF-F6958685E24B.jpeg

B419BF80-D35A-4A86-B183-DD53C26D1A04.jpeg

The rust was clearly painted over, so it's hard to say for sure. However, I don't see any rot, which is a good thing. It sounds like it's got some issues, but most of them should be fairly easy to fix.

For 6k you didn't get ripped off, so that's a good thing. Though it's very obvious the previous owner neglected it in terms of maintenance, so be prepared to sink a few grand into it in terms of repairs and such.

The first thing I would do is can that thing with an OBDII scanner and see what (if any) check engine codes it's throwing. That's the place to start.

Reactions: ObedaTJ
The rust was clearly painted over, so it's hard to say for sure. However, I don't see any rot, which is a good thing. It sounds like it's got some issues, but most of them should be fairly easy to fix.

For 6k you didn't get ripped off, so that's a good thing. Though it's very obvious the previous owner neglected it in terms of maintenance, so be prepared to sink a few grand into it in terms of repairs and such.

The first thing I would do is can that thing with an OBDII scanner and see what (if any) check engine codes it's throwing. That's the place to start.
I took it to MAVIS today to get an inspection and they told me it didn’t throw any check engine codes, however it failed the inspection and I was told I need to drive it more.

If you were told you need to drive it more, that means the computer was reset and now it needs to go through its drive cycle to see if all the systems are working.

My guess is that codes will start popping up very soon.

If you were told you need to drive it more, that means the computer was reset and now it needs to go through its drive cycle to see if all the systems are working.

My guess is that codes will start popping up very soon.

X2, this is exactly what I'm thinking as well.

My guess is that the previous owner unhooked the battery for 10-15 minutes, which would have cleared any codes stored in the PCM, and it would have also reset everything so that all your systems need to be warmed up, which usually entails driving it for 100 or so miles. In that time, I'm guessing you'll get a number of check engine codes (and a check engine light as an indicator), at which point then you'll want to have it scanned at see what the issue is.

I hate telling people "try replacing this" when there is no check engine code, because you're basically just guessing and throwing money at a problem hoping it will fix it. With a check engine code, you at least have a much better idea of what the issue is.

Reactions: CodaMan and ObedaTJ
Thanks for the input guys! I doubt that is what the owner did as he seemed like a great guy. Even let us drive home with his plates. Also I should have mentioned my dad drove it 180 miles the first day. No lights popped up or anything. It was good. However the next day the radio wouldn’t turn off so I took out the battery for a few minutes so the radio turned off and I think I was the one who caused it to reset

Reactions: Chris
Ahhh, if you unplugged the battery, then yes, it was likely you who caused this.

No big deal though. Happens all the time, and if you keep driving it, it will get back to normal. Hopefully some codes will show up in the meantime, that will help troubleshooting tremendously.

Looks very clean. Love the colour.

I had the oil light, alarms problem too. Mine came on after a highway run and pulling up to a red light. Everything was hot, including the oil. My problem was a worn out oil pump. I switched to a 10/30 NON synthetic, which stays heavier and the problem quit. But 3 months later I addressed the problem. Either replace the iol pump or.... instead I installed a new remanufactured long block. Solved a lot of minor issues including all the 4.0L oil leaks, increased compression, etc.

Mine had 200K hard miles on it. But I think your problem might also be a worn out oil pump.

I get the check engine light too. Mine is always related to the cats, not preheating before driving. I used to clear the code but now I just ignore the light.

Thanks for the input guys. I will take better pictures of the frame tmrw, I just hope if there are any issues they aren't huge haha I already have college for draining my pockets.

I don't see any massive issues at the moment, but I guess we'll wait for more pictures! It's a damn cool vehicle to have while in college, that's for sure.

I don't see any massive issues at the moment, but I guess we'll wait for more pictures! It's a damn cool vehicle to have while in college, that's for sure.
Oh I love it, gotten tons of compliments so far and it’s definitely an eye catcher. + no more ppl honking at me or cutting me off lol.

So I had it lifted today. No rust in the front, however in the back the gas tank is really rusty but my mechanic says those can be replaced but they don’t really affect the Jeep. He said it’s just a cover. There is little rust other places but it’s not rotten (thank god) also this morning it started fine. Drove it for about 30 minutes no problems and it didn’t overheat.

I’ve also added another picture I took outside my house

CD3A9A2B-CC7B-405F-B758-B6FDD2DFCBDB.jpeg

205EC7BA-3490-4057-8B3F-C3B98CCED63C.jpeg

So I had it lifted today. No rust in the front, however in the back the gas tank is really rusty but my mechanic says those can be replaced but they don’t really affect the Jeep. He said it’s just a cover. There is little rust other places but it’s not rotten (thank god) also this morning it started fine. Drove it for about 30 minutes no problems and it didn’t overheat.

I’ve also added another picture I took outside my house

Yes, that gas tank skid is easy to replace! I would replace that at some point, since that rust there is bad!

your in NY, they will always be honking and cutting off, giving the finger etc...from the picture I assume you are in Queens or somewhere right outside the city?
I am in the city almost everyday. I go to school there but I live in Bronxville. Really close to the city haha

Are my levels normal? the jeep only overheated once but now the level is consistent however it does go down at times

7D447BA8-8607-4670-A77A-A28326BEED55.jpeg

well the gas being empty is certainly normal:p but the temp looks a bit high...should just be a little over the 210 line in the center. Make sure antifreeze is topped up and there is no air in the system. If not already done a system flush is in order.

well the gas being empty is certainly normal:p but the temp looks a bit high...should just be a little over the 210 line in the center. Make sure antifreeze is topped up and there is no air in the system. If not already done a system flush is in order.
Lol the gas is my only complaint. It is topped up, I don’t know how to check if there is air in the system or do a flush