First Wrangler

Juan Garcia

Hello, recently I have purchased a 2001 TJ, Sport with a 4.0 engine. I have always wanted a wrangler ever since I was little and rode in my dads. My dad and I found a great deal on this wrangler so we jumped on it. This is my first one so i was looking for any advice in general on taking care of it because I intend on using it long term. Attached is a pic of my new wrangler. Thank you!

IMG_0227.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a clean TJ, congrats!

With Wranglers, the number one issue is always rust. If you live in an area where they salt the roads, stock up on Fluid Film, and use it liberally, coating the entire underside of the vehicle about 3-4 times a year. Do that and any rust you currently have will not get any worse than it it is, and no new rust will ever form in any of the coated areas.

Aside from that, if you don't know the last time your cooling system was replaced, I would do that, as it is generally what keeps a vehicle lasting a lot longer than it would otherwise.

Here's a helpful thread on that:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

Other than that, just take good care of your Jeep, clean it often, and enjoy it! These engines are notoriously long lasting.

Reactions: Kathy
I will have to purchase some fluid film because the roads do get salted a lot during the winter. Thank you!

No problem, you'll be happy you did. That stuff is amazing (a lot of us use it). It completely seals your underside from rust.

I just bought a 100,000 mile '04 TJ Rubicon, drove it home and parked it for 2 weeks. Since I have no idea what the PO did or if I would have even believed him had he told me, I replaced, in those 2 weeks, the engine oil, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, the oil in both diffs, brake fluid and power steering fluid. Here in the next couple of weeks I will replace the water pump, t-stat, both hoses, serpentine belt and flush the cooling system. Should be almost like new after that :D

Reactions: StG58 and Kathy
I just bought a 100,000 mile '04 TJ Rubicon, drove it home and parked it for 2 weeks. Since I have no idea what the PO did or if I would have even believed him had he told me, I replaced, in those 2 weeks, the engine oil, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, the oil in both diffs, brake fluid and power steering fluid. Here in the next couple of weeks I will replace the water pump, t-stat, both hoses, serpentine belt and flush the cooling system. Should be almost like new after that :D
Thats awesome, your rubicon looks really nice with that tan-ish color and black. Mechanically mine is in pretty good shape, just needs new brakes. But I would like to repaint it white and touch of the black to make it look fresh!

Congrats on your new TJ!!
Are this an O-Hi Jeep?
I will suggest to check your brake lines, they get rusty and break from even look at them.
Before you use Fluid film I strongly suggest to clean the interior of the frame, you will surprised how dirt you will took out it. I do a hole by the control Arms brackets to drain the water out, help a lot.
This Forum is a great information resource from fellas that know TJ's in and out. Have a How to and FQA section full of great info, but no be afraid to ask if you prefer that way.
Welcome to the Club and Happy Jeeping!!!

Reactions: StG58
Welcome! Awesome to have you here.

Hello, recently I have purchased a 2001 TJ, Sport with a 4.0 engine. I have always wanted a wrangler ever since I was little and rode in my dads. My dad and I found a great deal on this wrangler so we jumped on it. This is my first one so i was looking for any advice in general on taking care of it because I intend on using it long term. Attached is a pic of my new wrangler. Thank you!

Nice rig and welcome to the Tj family :beer-toast1:

Congrats!
You're going to have a lot of fun in that thing. I really like the green ones - I kinda miss my old green Sahara.

Enjoy!

Congrats on your new TJ!!
Are this an O-Hi Jeep?
I will suggest to check your brake lines, they get rusty and break from even look at them.
Before you use Fluid film I strongly suggest to clean the interior of the frame, you will surprised how dirt you will took out it. I do a hole by the control Arms brackets to drain the water out, help a lot.
This Forum is a great information resource from fellas that know TJ's in and out. Have a How to and FQA section full of great info, but no be afraid to ask if you prefer that way.
Welcome to the Club and Happy Jeeping!!!

I live in Florida so most likely going to use product. Question I have .... does sand stick to this product??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk