First Wrangler

bbaldwin237

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well I recently joined and posted to get a few quick questions answered. Now, we've officially made the purchase.

Yesterday, my family bought this 1997 Wrangler Sport (4.0 w/ 140k, auto, Dana 44 rear, 3.73's) and already love it! I've always wanted a Wrangler but this is my first. My first car was a 1998 Cherokee Sport (totalled (not my fault) after less than 6 months) and my wife currently has a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that we've had since new. I've loved every Jeep I've owned and always dreamed of a Wrangler as I grew up following everything off-road and TJ's were the real deal.

The previous owner had it for 1.5-2 years and went through everything to make it a nice fun toy for their family. We feel like it's very tastefully done and is a great starter for us.

Within the past year the Jeep has had
-Fresh paint (Land Rover arles blue)
-Raptor lined fender wells, inside tub, and under hood
-Zone 3" coils with Rancho 5000X's
-New stereo and speakers
-Bedrug carpet kit
-Bedtop Trektop
-33" BFG ATs on Pro Comp Wheels
-Pro Comp bumper
-LED lights
-New valve cover gasket, heater core, brakes, windshield, door seals, door handles, fender flares, marker lights, and other trim bits

The Jeep is super solid and straight (as straight as a TJ's body can be!). We bought this as a family toy that we can run around in and just have fun. It will also be an ongoing project for me and my son as he grows up (16 months now).

However, no Jeep is without it's issues, so it does need a few things. First, it appears that it has an RMS leak. Going to do a fresh oil change and maybe add some AT-205 to see if that helps. Also going to retorque the valve cover and oil pan The previous owner used 10W-30 high mileage but it's only had about 1000 miles since they built the Jeep last year. Going to start fresh, clean everything, and see where we're at. I've read all the how-to's and called some local shops. I'll probably hire that one out if it needs to be done. There's also an exhaust leak and I already have the manifold and engine mounts on order. It's got the "new style" manifold on it, so it's been replaced at some point, but I'm expecting cracks when I pull it off. It has a new steering box, but there seems to be a small PS leak that I need to track down. And lastly, the front seats have broken cables for the release. Just adds an extra step for getting in and out of the back, but not a major issue for us right now.

The near term mods (1-2 years?) are fix the issues, interior LEDs, LED taillights, rear bumper/tire carrier, different front bumper w/winch mount and winch, front window tint, and a few other odds and ends.

Long term (???), more lift, 35's, Dana 44 front, cage, gears and lockers. I'd like to build it into just a solid, safe, and reliable 35-37" tire rig for the family to play in.

Already learned a lot here and looking forward to having an outlet so I don't drive my wife insane! Luckily she's quickly come on board and loves our "little blue Jeep"

Screenshot_20230628-183334~2.png

PXL_20230706_002711490.jpg

PXL_20230706_002657034.jpg

It's a super clean start. He did a lot of really nice work. Few little things to iron out but that's any 26 year old vehicle! And plus, it's fun to have something to tinker with. Already got the manifold and engine mounts in the mail. Unfortunately, my local parts store has pretty much no conventional oil so I ended up having to order oil. Hopefully next week I can get them installed and throw fresh oil in and see where we're at.

Reactions: Rickyd and P man
It's a super clean start. He did a lot of really nice work. Few little things to iron out but that's any 26 year old vehicle! And plus, it's fun to have something to tinker with. Already got the manifold and engine mounts in the mail. Unfortunately, my local parts store has pretty much no conventional oil so I ended up having to order oil. Hopefully next week I can get them installed and throw fresh oil in and see where we're at.

Yep he spent a bunch of money and labor on that jeep. Did he show you pics of what it started as?

Yep he spent a bunch of money and labor on that jeep. Did he show you pics of what it started as?

That's definitely noticable! I actually walked away from it at first but ended up reaching back out and we came to an agreement.

No, I asked him when we were talking at first if he had any old pictures and I think he said he might somewhere if he looked back but we never revisited that topic. He said it was pretty much all stock and "postal Jeep" looking with small tires and everything.

Reactions: P man