Fishing pole storage

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
My wife seems hell-bent on taking a few fishing poles with us this weekend to Big Bear.
I'm fine with the idea, but she seems to think that a 1-piece pole will somehow fit in the jeep with the top on/up.

While I'm not usually one naive enough to point out her mistakes, this is one that I believe needs to be addressed & I'm seeking the collective wisdom of other TJ owners to figure out how.

How do you pack, store, or transport a fishing pole inside a TJ of it doesn't separate into 2 pieces? (aside from a kid's pole or ice fishing pole)
Do you tie it to the roll bar along the center of the vehicle, poke the rod tip out the back of a slightly opened softtop window, or some other method that I cannot think of right now while I'm supposed to be working?

She seems insistent on taking her late father's pole, and I would really be sick if it got damaged.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that; between 6'5 - 6'8"...
that's a manageable length. i'd have it stick out the bottom of the rear window if i were you. if the seat is out or folded down you could even just have it resting on the console and out the rear. could probably poke it through the spare tire depending on your tire carrier sitch.

even better, lay it at an angle that makes it rest in her lap. i'm sure she'll get over it after the driving back and forth.

she's probably not going to want it to whip around in the wind since it's sentimental so head to home depot and make a PVC tube carrier for a few bucks. if it sticks out over 4', get a flag to keep CHP off your ass.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
If it's that precious I would grab a ten foot stick of 2" or 3" PVC and glue cleanouts to both ends. Remove the reel, stow the pole inside and lash the pipe somehow to the top or like you mentioned inside poking out the back. Could also ride on top of fenders if you don't mind deleting a door.

Me...three piece poles that fit in day packs are the way to go.

Could also stick it straight up out of the back bumper...long as there are no trees or brush. That's what scrap pieces of DOM are for...

-Mac

Reactions: J.Pierce
that's a manageable length. i'd have it stick out the bottom of the rear window if i were you. if the seat is out or folded down you could even just have it resting on the console and out the rear. could probably poke it through the spare tire depending on your tire carrier sitch.

even better, lay it at an angle that makes it rest in her lap. i'm sure she'll get over it after the driving back and forth.

she's probably not going to want it to whip around in the wind since it's sentimental so head to home depot and make a PVC tube carrier for a few bucks. if it sticks out over 4', get a flag to keep CHP off your ass.
I'm probably taking the rear seat out to make room for 'stuff' instead of people.
That being said, a length of 2" - 4" PVC (or similar) pipe and some straps to secure it to the rear roll bar upright seems like a great idea to protect the rod tip from getting snapped.
I'll let it poke out right above the rear gate as mentioned.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: J.Pierce and Ocho
If my wife even hinted at showing the slightest bit of interest in taking the Jeep to use a fishing pole somewhere I'd slam the pole in the door in a heartbeat to shorten it enough to make it happen if I had too!

I think some sort of protective tube is the safest bet. Most of my rods are on the shorter side, but I thread them through tip forward on the passenger side against the window/door. If my wife is along (but surely not fishing) I've tied the tip to the rollbar to keep it from getting slammed in the door.

"If my wife even hinted at showing the slightest bit of interest in taking the Jeep to use a fishing pole somewhere I'd slam the pole in the door in a heartbeat to shorten it enough to make it happen if I had too!"

^This!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: J.Pierce