Fitting inside the TJ

rancholago

TJ Enthusiast
New guy here!
Looking to buy a jeep, mostly to tow behind my RV. Today looked at a pretty nice 1998 JT 4 cylinder 5 speed stick. My biggest problem is fitting inside the cabin of the jeep. On this particular Jeep My shins scraped against the lower dash as I depressed the clutch, no matter how I situated myself in the seat, or what position I placed the seat I scraped my shins.
Seat fully back and the back rest reclined in a variety of positions, nothing worked.
I can not be the only XL guy who wanted to sit inside a jeep. Is there a standard "mod" for retro fitting the seat in a more rearward portions, or some kind of kit for that? Is there a difference in years between the TJ models, for instance does the '03 have more room than a '98 or some thing like that?
My grandson has a YJ, 1992 I think and I can operate the clutch with out bodily harm, but it is pretty tight.
Im 6'6 240lbs

They all sit the same way however, many taller guys build seat brackets to move the seat back. I'm sure someone will chime in or you can search the forum.

Misch makes a Big Boy seat bracket that moves the seat back 4”.

538B12F4-5943-4E9D-96FC-FF871A7D5918.jpeg

I think the that later model TJ’s have a redesigned Dash to allow a little more shin room. I’m exactly the same size as you are ( all legs ) to and I fit pretty good in it. I later got some 1-1/4 inch seat spacers and now it’s perfect. Mines a 06 not sure what year they changed.

I’m 6’5” and drive a TJ. I had the big boy brackets they help. The 2003-06 seats sit lower and helped comfort also.

Reactions: Blondie70
I think the that later model TJ’s have a redesigned Dash to allow a little more shin room. I’m exactly the same size as you are ( all legs ) to and I fit pretty good in it. I later got some 1-1/4 inch seat spacers and now it’s perfect. Mines a 06 not sure what year they changed.
No, I think the seats are just mounted a little lower.

Last edited: