Fix or sell "as is" advice

sourdough

My neighbor lady's stock '02 Sport 4.0 hardtop has a bad automatic transmission. She is the orig. owner, it has just over 100K miles, no rust and never been off road. She has been getting quotes of 5-6 grand to have the transmission replaced. She mentioned just selling "as is" but I'm thinking it would be better to bite the bullet and have it repaired. What do you all think ?

Personally, I'd get a junkyard tranny, or even order one from ebay and throw it in, then sell. If you do the work yourself, you can have it running for around a grand, then sell it for significantly more than a dead jeep. I am not comfortable rebuilding a tranny, but stabbing one is relatively easy.

Of course, if neighbor lady can't do the work herself, then this isn't a realistic option.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I do not believe it's worth paying a transmission shop $5,000-$6,000 to do a basic rebuild on a 20+ year old vehicle.
You're talking salvage %'s here. That quote is absurd anyways.

I've rebuilt a few transmissions, but it's going to come down to buying some specialty tools, and a whole lot more.
IF it's just a woman who doesn't get her hands into stuff like this, it's a big headache waiting
Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to cut and run.

EDIT or buy a REMAN and just find a shop to install it.
https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/automatic-transmission/jeep/wrangler/2002

Last edited:
Get more quotes. It will sell faster if it runs. Buyer will have to gamble that there is nothing else wrong if they can’t drive it. Classic little old lady from Pasadena drove it.

Reactions: BlueC
Now that I think about it, avoid the transmission jokers altogether.

They're going to slap a big fat price tag on everything which is obscene these days.
Add on the single female factor, they just see a $$$ Cha-Ching $$$ opportunity here.

Find a reman, and have it shipped to someplace that can bolt it in for their hourly rate.
Even your average Midas, Merlins, or Firestone can pop out a transmission, and plop a new one right back in its place.

I'd advise a new converter too tho......

In my own opinion, a non-driving vehicle is worth 1/2 of whatever it SHOULD be worth.
Without it in driving condition, there's no way to tell if anything else is wrong.
Not many buyers are going to take your word that "the transmission is the only thing wrong".

$5k for a transmission replacement is ABSURD.
I would 100% shop around a bit longer, preferably as far from that shop as possible. :ROFLMAO:

Also, if you know any ladies selling Nice TJ's that need a transmission swap, I might be in the market to buy... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RangerTJ
The bigger question is, how did she ruin a 32rh trans in 100,000 miles? Selling the hard top would pay for a used transmission. Labor should be under $1,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rcroane
In my own opinion, a non-driving vehicle is worth 1/2 of whatever it SHOULD be worth.
Without it in driving condition, there's no way to tell if anything else is wrong.
Not many buyers are going to take your word that "the transmission is the only thing wrong".

$5k for a transmission replacement is ABSURD.
I would 100% shop around a bit longer, preferably as far from that shop as possible. :ROFLMAO:

Also, if you know any ladies selling Nice TJ's that need a transmission swap, I might be in the market to buy... :ROFLMAO:

Hell, I'd be interested too. After buying my first TJ last June, I'm now confident enough to be able to do a trans swap myself.

Jeep is probably worth $8500. If she could sell for $5-6000 she’d be doing good.

Definitely not worth dumping $5-6000 in for a transmission.

She has been getting quotes of 5-6 grand to have the transmission replaced.

That is ridiculous. That should be $3500 or less complete job, with a good 12 months/12000 miles minimum warranty. Keep looking.

Just for reference, I had a 545RFE rebuilt in 2021 (pulled trans, clean/rebuilt, new converter, reinstalled) and all drive line universal joints replaced for $3,350. That was from a shop providing a 36 month/50,000 mile warranty, and they were part of this https://www.atra.com/ShopFinder which means that if I had trans issues on the road, the nearest ATRA shop would be doing the warranty repair. Use that link to see what shops are in your area.

Thats a good project vehicle-

Shop just trying to make bank off an unsuspecting female is my suspicion.

Reactions: BlueC
As is she will be lucky to get $2500-3000.

Salvage yards will sell a tranny with a 30 day warranty, If she can source one from a Pull-A-Part it will run around $200 with the converter.

Looks like you're not too far from me.

Tell her it's junk and I'll take it off her hands and get that eyesore out of her way 😁

Seriously though, I know someone here in N Ga that rebuilds transmissions, or if she gets a junkyard transmission I have a friend who owns a garage that will do her right on the installation.

If she's looking to sell it, I'd go the junkyard route as that will be the cheapest option by far.

If she's looking to keep it, I can check with my friend Gerald and see what he charges for a rebuild.

Selling as-is will get a very low price due to the reasons stated above.

Unless she just wants it gone.

Thank you all for replying. I just wanted some input from Jeep folks that I could show to her. Vehicle is in Santa Barbara. Ca. 93101. The cost of everything thing around here is absurd:eek:. I'm 90% sure it will be up for sale soon as it is parked on the street. BTW, I have known this Jeep for 10 plus years, IMO It would be a good buy for someone who wants a cheap entry TJ Sport project. Problem for her is folks around here aren't interested in old Jeeps, projects or not, too busy working two jobs.
BTW, In the past couple years I've done oil, plugs, belts, battery and a starter for free to help her out but I'm tapping out at this. After 55+ years wrenching on vehicles, I've done most everything at least once. I'm 72 and wrenching just isn't as fun as it use to be, at least on other folks Jeeps. I still fiddle with my '19 JLR but haven't even had it off road in a year. Getting old ain't for sissies, bout the only things I look forward to is solitude, my old chair, an occasional cigar and Heaven Hill over ice.

Reactions: RangerTJ
. After 55+ years wrenching on vehicles, I've done most everything at least once. I'm 72 and wrenching just isn't as fun as it use to be, at least on other folks Jeeps.
Youre at the age where something bad could happen to ya, and you should just enjoy your retirement

Youve paid your dues and then some