Fix, rebuild, or replace axles?

JeepMama

Bought a 2006 Wrangler X in January. I knew the gearing was low from the test drive, but didn't realize how low until after we drove it around a bit. I don't really need first gear unless starting uphill. Im in 6th gear by 35-40mph. My brother did the wheel turn test and we have 4.88s. He did it twice bc he thought he was wrong the first time.

Regardless, the rear end needs some attention. Definitely seals, maybe more. He's coming to take a deeper look this weekend. Assuming it's not totally trashed, we are debating whether to fix seals and deal with what we have, or get the axles rebuilt with different gears.

We bought this for our teenage son to drive. He won't be doing any hardcore rock crawling or off-roading. He just wants to get muddy. Most of his driving will be around town to school and sports. And some occasional summer beach trips (150 miles each way) which will get pricey with the gas mileage.

My brother did say these gears would be great for a bigger lift and 40s. But that's not happening. The 33s on it are almost brand new (less than 1500 miles) and I'm not putting my 16yo son on 40s.

If this were your teenage son's Jeep what would you do? Fix what we've got and deal with the terrible gas mileage? Get the gears changed out? Swapping the axles entirely is also an option, but not my preference. We can't buy brand new, and getting used axles I'm worried we'll just get a new set of problems.

4.56 and 4.88 are acceptable for 33s. These motors like to sit between 2500-3000 rpms. 4.10 gears isn't quite enough for 33s in a tj. Your brother sounds like he's used to v8 trucks with granny low transmissions

No way would i run 4.88s with 40s in a tj

Reactions: GPK03X and Woodrow
4.56 and 4.88 are acceptable for 33s. These motors like to sit between 2500-3000 rpms. 4.10 gears isn't quite enough for 33s in a tj. Your brother sounds like he's used to v8 trucks with granny low transmissions

He was probably exaggerating about the 40s to get my son hyped up. The fun uncles are good for that. 😂
I don't want it to be sluggish but the 488s seem a bit much.

Reactions: Rickyd
I have to assume you have a Dana 30 and Dana 35 setup? Is that the case?

If someone put 4.88’s on the Tj, did they do more? Chromoly axles etc or just gear it to 4.88?

I have a 2005 with BFG 35’s running 4.88’s, and it’s perfect with the 6 speed for me.

Not sure you need to be in 6th gear at 40 with that setup. Like the other post, 2700 to 3000 RPMs is what I run my TJ all the time. Went 80 on the highway cruising at about 3100 if I remember correctly last weekend.

I also start in 2nd a lot, and 1st is there when I need it.

I would absolutely not change it. If you do, I would spend some time here and see if there is someone looking to go to 4.88’s. Axle swap if you find nice ones, but they are getting the deal here.

Just my opinion

Especially with Rubicon 44s and lockers.

You could compromise on 35s. I run 35s on my Dana 30/Dana 35 97 TJ with the AX-15 manual.

Granted I put Eaton E-lockers and a Super 30/35 kit on to support the non stock tire size.

You really want 40s or want to regear... consider Superduty axles...you could easily sell your Rubicon 44s for good money and buy tons for those 40s. Might end up ahead or even cash wise.

I'd run 4.88s and 33s all day every day and be perfectly ok with it.

-Mac

Especially with Rubicon 44s and lockers.

You could compromise on 35s. I run 35s on my Dana 30/Dana 35 97 TJ with the AX-15 manual.

Granted I put Eaton E-lockers and a Super 30/35 kit on to support the non stock tire size.

You really want 40s or want to regear... consider Superduty axles...you could easily sell your Rubicon 44s for good money and buy tons for those 40s. Might end up ahead or even cash wise.

I'd run 4.88s and 33s all day every day and be perfectly ok with it.

-Mac

I think he was kidding about 40’s, ha.

His is an X, where did you see that he had Rubi axles? Did I miss that?

I think he was kidding about 40’s, ha.

His is an X, where did you see that he had Rubi axles? Did I miss that?

Nope I was just dreaming... probably is a 30/35.

Probably needs a lot of upgrades to support 33s. Let's not even start on 35s and 40s is major surgery.

-Mac

P.S. I get my best gas mileage around 2800 to 3000 rpm.

Maybe I'm just too used to a 4Runner and Expedition at highway speed. Compared to those the Jeep feels like it needs 3 more gears.