Fixing vacuum line through the fire wall?

It’s a whole lot easier to do a visual inspection, and just bend the lines they will break at the crack. I have only had issues with the lines in the engine compartment never inside the vehicle.

The only time I had an issue in the cab was when mice chewed on it. If you think about it the lines in the cabin are in a perfect environment they should last forever

The only time I had an issue in the cab was when mice chewed on it. If you think about it the lines in the cabin are in a perfect environment they should last forever

I could see that I have a hard top and live in the city on the coast. Rodents are not a big issue. Everyone makes this repair harder than it needs to be.

Reactions: P man
OP Adam, I have the exact same short stub as your pic. Did you ever complete a satisfactory repair, and if so could you show a pic?
Help is appreciated.

OP Adam, I have the exact same short stub as your pic. Did you ever complete a satisfactory repair, and if so could you show a pic?
Help is appreciated.

I have repaired many of these. If you can get ahold of the black line with needle nose plyers you may be able to pull some line through the grommet from inside and splice it with 3/32” line to the engine compartment line. If it is glued to the grommet the best way I have found it to attach a wire or string. I then push the grommet and pull wire through to the inside of the vehicle. Drop the glove box down and retrieve the hose.
If you can get some of the same nylon hose remove the grommet from the hose ( it may need to be cut and drilled out) slide he new hose through the grommet then use the pull wire to get it back through the firewall. Make the splice in the engine compartment or replace all the nylon line with new.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006305N8/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H9FBL0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have repaired many of these. If you can get ahold of the black line with needle nose plyers you may be able to pull some line through the grommet from inside and splice it with 3/32” line to the engine compartment line. If it is glued to the grommet the best way I have found it to attach a wire or string. I then push the grommet and pull wire through to the inside of the vehicle. Drop the glove box down and retrieve the hose.
If you can get some of the same nylon hose remove the grommet from the hose ( it may need to be cut and drilled out) slide he new hose through the grommet then use the pull wire to get it back through the firewall. Make the splice in the engine compartment or replace all the nylon line with new.
[URL][URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006305N8/?tag=wranglerorg-20[/URL][/URL]

[URL][URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H9FBL0/?tag=wranglerorg-20[/URL][/URL]

Thank you Sir, you obviously know your way around this problem. I will study your instruction carefully and attempt repair. Very much appreciate your response.

Thank you Sir, you obviously know your way around this problem. I will study your instruction carefully and attempt repair. Very much appreciate your response.

No problem. Pm me if you have any questions. I am glad to help.

I looked at my Jeep today and removed the glove box you can see where the line comes through. If you push the grommet through carefully you can make a repair inside the vehicle then use a stiff wire or welding rod to pull it back through the firewall then carefully reseat the grommet. If you run a new nylon line you may be able to plug it into the vacuum harness connector located by the fuse panel. If you splice to the existing nylon line with 3/32 vacuum hose I usually spray the end line with a small bit of brake or carp cleaner right before I push the rubber hose on. This will melt the line a bit and glue it to the rubber hose so it won’t come off.
In the picture the red arrow is where the vacuum hose comes through and the blue is where the vacuum harness connector is.

IMG_9873.jpeg

Thank you, excellent advise and instruction. I got off easy this time. Took one more shot at pulling the small hard line out enough to make a hose splice, the broken end line popped out of the firewall hose/grommet. It was stabbed in to about ¾" (I had thought it was a solid line). Made a splice with hose and restabbed, vents working.
I now have a deeper understanding of this area.
Wrangler vent vacuum.JPG

Thank you, excellent advise and instruction. I got off easy this time. Took one more shot at pulling the small hard line out enough to make a hose splice, the broken end line popped out of the firewall hose/grommet. It was stabbed in to about ¾" (I had thought it was a solid line). Made a splice with hose and restabbed, vents working.
I now have a deeper understanding of this area.
View attachment 449937

Glad you got it repaired, I was going to say the check valve is in the wrong location but I checked the service manual and it seems Jeep used two check valves in the system. Here is the page.
IMG_0572.jpeg