FJ40

Rick Flair

Domari Nolo
Supporting Member
Sadly, this was not in my having a cell phone days.

Chris wanted pics, this was the only one I have on my IG....this is 37” Creepy crawlers. This was right before the front stretch, but ended up with both front/rear stretched to 108”, FJ80 front axle and rear. Leaf springs but was a beast and worked damn well.

20FEB16B-FC73-4D3D-A6BE-42359AE85165.jpg

Reactions: alittleoff
That's amazing... those tires don't look nearly as big as they would on a TJ, or is that just me?

I think the FJ40 is just bigger so that it makes the tires look not as large as they would on a TJ.

Reactions: Rick Flair
That's amazing... those tires don't look nearly as big as they would on a TJ, or is that just me?

I think the FJ40 is just bigger so that it makes the tires look not as large as they would on a TJ.

It was tall at that point. FJ55 rear springs and FJ60, SOA made it tall. This was built back in 2004, and well before I had funds for links and coil overs. Was it right? Today hell no.

But with FJ80 axles, it was wide and with the full stretch, it sat at 102” here, it was pretty stable.

The FJ40 is not terribly larger than a TJ, but the hood/fenders do make them look quite a bit larger!

It was tall at that point. FJ55 rear springs and FJ60, SOA made it tall. This was built back in 2004, and well before I had funds for links and coil overs. Was it right? Today hell no.

But with FJ80 axles, it was wide and with the full stretch, it sat at 102” here, it was pretty stable.

The FJ40 is not terribly larger than a TJ, but the hood/fenders do make them look quite a bit larger!

Maybe that's what it is, the hood and fender shape gives it a different appearance when lifted.

That probably would have been worth a pretty penny now. Those things have gone up so much in value it's almost ridiculous. I like them a lot, but not enough to pay the prices some people want these days.

Maybe that's what it is, the hood and fender shape gives it a different appearance when lifted.

That probably would have been worth a pretty penny now. Those things have gone up so much in value it's almost ridiculous. I like them a lot, but not enough to pay the prices some people want these days.

It makes me sick man. This was obviously a wheeler. No rust but cut and not original.

ARB’s, beadlocks, high steer, full cage, harnesses and suspension seats, etc.

I sold it for $9500.

Last I looked, similar rigs are going for $25-30k. It’s discusting.

I also had 2 FJ80’s and a first gen Runner. All built. All worth triple what I sold them for...

All used and not show queens.

27D3D733-A45F-4969-941E-B8366584D6EE.jpg

415EEAAF-1BC6-4DF2-94BC-68AD0876D6BE.jpg

B3499327-1BD2-4D8E-AF1D-AD5B000935E3.jpg

It makes me sick man. This was obviously a wheeler. No rust but cut and not original.

ARB’s, beadlocks, high steer, full cage, harnesses and suspension seats, etc.

I sold it for $9500.

Last I looked, similar rigs are going for $25-30k. It’s discusting.

I also had 2 FJ80’s and a first gen Runner. All built. All worth triple what I sold them for...

All used and not show queens.

View attachment 156351

View attachment 156352

View attachment 156353

Man oh man... I see FJ40s going for 40k and up now, it's insane.

Oh well, we all take a loss at some point.

Those are some nice Toyotas you've had.

This is my current Tacoma I have, which is a fantastic vehicle:

9a9f905b3a_800.jpg

70b45112da_800.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vasq and Rick Flair

View attachment 156354

View attachment 156355

Thanks, yeah it’s horrible with this overland thing making Toyota’s go through the roof!!

Nice first gen taco!!!! If you want to sell it hit me up. Those double cabs are hard to find and that looks clean! You bought from a dealer in Portland?!? He carries nice stuff if you did!

Thanks, yeah it’s horrible with this overland thing making Toyota’s go through the roof!!

Nice first gen taco!!!! If you want to sell it hit me up. Those double cabs are hard to find and that looks clean! You bought from a dealer in Portland?!? He carries nice stuff if you did!

Yep, I hear you 100%. Toyota’s values have gone way up.

I did indeed buy it from that dealer. He has a great inventory. I paid $16,500 which is a lot, but it came with the wheels, brand new 285 Duratracs, Icon 3” coilover lift, aftermarket control arms, poly bushings, new timing belt, water pump, etc.

Someone took damn good care of it.

I may have to sell it though to fund this new TJ I’m about to go crazy with. I don’t think I can afford this many vehicles at once 😆

Yep, I hear you 100%. Toyota’s values have gone way up.

I did indeed buy it from that dealer. He has a great inventory. I paid $16,500 which is a lot, but it came with the wheels, brand new 285 Duratracs, Icon 3” coilover lift, aftermarket control arms, poly bushings, new timing belt, water pump, etc.

Someone took damn good care of it.

I may have to sell it though to fund this new TJ I’m about to go crazy with. I don’t think I can afford this many vehicles at once 😆

Yeah M&M isn’t cheap but he has very nice stuff!!!

I like the look and stance! Hit me up, seriously. I’m about to dump my F150 and would LOVE to have that for a few years before my oldest can drive...start him on quality trucks! 😂

Reactions: Chris
Man, I love the looks of those 90s landcruisers, I worked at a Toyota dealership growing up. While they always commanded a premium the overlanding trend has blown prices out of the water. I’d have to get a JKU for a family off-roader these day.

Yeah M&M isn’t cheap but he has very nice stuff!!!

I like the look and stance! Hit me up, seriously. I’m about to dump my F150 and would LOVE to have that for a few years before my oldest can drive...start him on quality trucks! 😂

Yep. The way I figured it though, it was worth paying a bit more.

For one, the double cabs are hard to find, two this one was very well taken care of, and three, all the "mods" on it add up to about $3500 or so. I figured if I bought one bone stock, I would just end up doing all these same mods, so in my mind it was worth it to pay a bit more for one that was already done.

View attachment 156354

View attachment 156355
My best friend has one just like that except its the extended cab. lemme know if you sell it before going to Arizona ;)

My best friend has one just like that except its the extended cab. lemme know if you sell it before going to Arizona ;)

I posted it for sale:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/salem-2003-toyota-tacoma-trd-4x4-double/7100803916.html
I actually would really love to keep it, but with the TJ build I'm about to start (once our house sells), there is no doubt in my mind it's going to be a lot easier for me to pay for two vehicles instead of three :LOL:

If I don't end up selling it before we move in June, I'll have to ship it down to Arizona, at which point I'll re-evaluate. But for right now, I'm thinking I'd like one less monthly payment, that way I can dump copious amounts of money into future TJ :ROFLMAO: