Flair nutserts

Thor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I removed the flairs today. 3 of the nutserts spun on me but thankfully they were ones that I could access from the back side and hold with vise grips to get the machine screw out. I want to get those 3 nutserts out and replace them with another machine screw and a nut on the back. What’s the best way to remove these nutserts?

Also, does anyone know what thread these nutserts are? For the ones that didn’t spin, I am going to run a tap through them to get all the crap out of them. I will also put a dab of anti seize on the machine screw for install.

Any and all input is appreciated.

I removed the flairs today. 3 of the nutserts spun on me but thankfully they were ones that I could access from the back side and hold with vise grips to get the machine screw out. I want to get those 3 nutserts out and replace them with another machine screw and a nut on the back. What’s the best way to remove these nutserts?

Also, does anyone know what thread these nutserts are? For the ones that didn’t spin, I am going to run a tap through them to get all the crap out of them. I will also put a dab of anti seize on the machine screw for install.

As long as you can grab them it's a pretty simple process to drill them out, a sharp bit and go slowly and the neck will detach exposing the body penetrations. You do not want to drill thru the fender.

Or, rig up an installation tool and retighten the existing ones.
Not sure about the thread, but probably metric.

Last edited:

I just replaced all of mine on the LF fender. I drilled all the certs, and bought a flare hardware kit. The one with the plastic backing. The backings fit right into a 7/16 or 1/2 inch open end wrench to prevent spinning.

Before install, I ran the screws into the backing first, to set the thread. They all went in without a problem or spinning. It sure beats the license plate square plastic knubs the body shop used while repairing the wreck.............😖

Ray

Gonna be hard to remove.

Mine were jammed and just turned in the hole. The two on the front rears can't be accessed even by removing the wells so hey had to be basically ripped out and I'm also a hack so I used JB Weld epoxy and glued them back in after I made sure the rust was cleared and anti seize was added. They are on. Not sure for how long but with my thumping banging rattling Jeep this is now the least of my mechanical worries.

Reactions: Moglocker