Flame red TJ or Raptor Coat (original versus functional)

Bammo68

TJ Enthusiast
So my Flame Ref 2001TJ is in really good condition panel and body wise but the paintwork is stuffed beyond recovery. Badly faded and a lot of scratches. A mate is a professional spray painter and he has offered me a good price on either doing a doors-on respray in the original factory Flame Red or doing a Raptor Coat in a matt green colour.

This is not a thread question about the merits of the Raptor coat - its a question about whether its worth preserving the originality of the vehicle. I am assuming that once I go the Raptor path there is no coming back without a ton of work.

The TJ cost me $6000 USD with less than 80K Miles on it and so it doesn't owe me much. They aren't really collectible in Australia yet so the prices aren't going silly though I suspect that may change in the future.

Its a café crawler 80% of its life and a dedicated farm and hunting vehicle the other 20% so I can make a convincing argument either way but I am leaning towards preserving its originality as much as possible which means sticking to Flame Red. The offroad use it gets tends to be pretty mild compared to what some use them for - its normally crawling around paddocks at low speed rather than clambering over rocks.

Would love to hear from anyone with an opinion about this "originality" aspect of the decision - I'm not looking for an endorsement of the Raptor coating itself.

*edit* the paint really is poor - the photo doesn't do it enough injustice!

IMG20211224105737.jpg

Reactions: JMT
I think you’ll find most people here would say stick with the originality if you’re not doing anything that will result in heavy scratches. You’re getting a new paint job and now you can take proper care of it so it will still look amazing in 20 years.

Raptor liner is heavy too, and yes, it’s a lot of prep to knock it back down if you ever wanted to paint it. I vote for paint job 🙂

Ya, given those two choices, I would stick with original. But...Like you said, TJs arent worth very much and not a rare vehicle so no harm in doing raptor liner if you really want it.

I am going through the same thing with deciding whether or not to stick with silver metallic paint (original) or a gray non metallic.

Seems like the non metallic would be easier to touch up and easier to spray but the originality aspect has me leaning toward metallic.

I think a good automotive paint would be more functional than raptor liner.

If it were my car, I would first buy all the aluminum armor I wanted, particularly corner guards, tailgate guards, and quarter panel guards. Perhaps rocker guards and fenders if they incorporate into the system. Maybe even half-door guards for completeness.

Fit them up, drill all the holes, and then take them off. Drive to the paint shop, get everything painted, including the guards, in the factory color. Under where the guards will be, appearance is not a concern, just rustproofing.

Then once it is all painted, then assemble.. Now you have a pristine looking but also stealth armored TJ. The paint can be touched up for a scratch here and there, and the armor hides any previous dents and stops any new ones from any future shenanigans.

Reactions: imahnu
I was recently thinking of doing the same thing. I checked prices on a wrap, paint and bedliner. I decided to leave mine alone and have fun with it. Paint will just get scratched again, wraps will tear, and Raptor coat will look like crap when the sun and mud gets to it. Pristine looking Jeeps are only good to look at and don't last long if they ever go off the pavement. I've had a few and never enjoyed them because I was always worried about the paint getting messed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1proof and JMT
I think there's something 'classy' about a rig that gets used for what it was intended, yet still looks good - not 'showroom', just cared for. I'd vote for respray in original color. You use it well but aren't beating the hell out of it. If you were beating it up, I'd say Raptor - or just save the $ and leave it alone.

Another vote for paint in original color. Especially if you can get a deal on it. It’ll be easier to sell down the road too if you ever get rid of it.

Reactions: JMT
A red Jeep with a green raptor liner would look like garbage. None of your door jams, interior or under the hood will match and it will stick out terribly. Liner is good for the interior, but I personally would never do it on the outside, I don’t think it looks good.

My vote is for respray(although your description of what it’s used for doesn’t really seem to warrant new paint) or the armor + paint recommendation from above.

My answer to Flame Red paint or Matte Green Raptor Coat is definitely Flame Red paint.

I am going through the same thing with deciding whether or not to stick with silver metallic paint (original) or a gray non metallic.

My answer to that one is Grey non metallic as long as it's at least somewhat glossy so it's easy to clean up.

Reactions: Vtx531
How are those DC extreme country tires holding up?
I've only got about 600 miles ('Murica) on them so far but so far, so good. They are a lot quieter than I was expecting them to be and returning figures of 16MPG in mixed city driving so I'm pretty happy. They were also cheap - $240 a tyre which in Aus is a steal compared to the BFG's.

(Note: I've been driving on a powdery limestone track which is why they look a bit bleached in the treads - its just dust)

Reactions: TheBoogieman