Flasher & Turn Signal Help Needed

aslupecki

Supporting Member
Hi All - I started to swap my front turn signals, brake lights, and side markers to LEDs and got all kinds of weird things going on. After some reading here, I tried the EP26 relay and EP27 relay and neither worked "correctly". At this point, I decided to swap everything back, including the original relay to get back to ground zero and nothing works ... no turn signals or flashers. My last attempt was to replace the relay with the LM470, leaving the non-LED lamps. Well, in the garage, it looked successful. Flashers and turn signals worked. Side markers flashed with the front turn signals. I put the steering covers back on and went for a drive and now I have nothing again. The fuse looks good and I swapped with the spare.

My thought at this point is either the relay is loose or there's some other loose connection somewhere. Any common failure points or recommendations on how to troubleshoot from here?

Thanks!

Update: Solved my issue ... hope this helps someone. My issue turned out to be a slightly loose flasher relay. It feels tight, but I was able to move it around and replicate the issue. So, I got all working by pulling up slightly on the relay but during a test drive, everything stopped working again. I pulled up slightly again on the "front" of the relay and all worked again. I used a piece of electrical tape from the front of the relay and pulled it real tight across the top and stuck to the plastic piece the relay plugs into. So far so good. Now I can go try to swap LED bulbs back in!

Reactions: SoCalGlide
Final update: Here is my set-up: I am using the LM470 relay and have successfully swapped in LEDs to side markers in the fender flares, rear brake/signal lights, backup lights, and 3rd backup light by spare tire. Hazards, turn signals and everything work as they should. Everything is a lot brighter than stock bulbs. I tried replacing the front turn signal bulbs with LEDs (in the front fenders) but like many other posts, got strange results depending on lights on/off, turn signal, hazard, etc. This set-up requires some additional wiring mods described in other posts I am not ready to do right now, so I swapped back to regular bulbs. Too many other things to do right now!