Flat towing my TJ

I use a NSA readybrake. It’s just a cable that hooks to your brake pedal. I also put a jack in the bumper and tied my lights to the rv. Easy hook up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it depends on what you mean by best way. If you mean legal and safe then yes on what you listed. Check your state laws for towing requirements for brakes. Many require if over a certain weight. There are a lot of other threads on your options that you might want to search and read.

Also depends on what kind of towing you plan. Are you going across country towing with a motor home or short distances to local trails. Some more info on what you plan would help you get the right answers for you.

I tow behind my motor home so I cover all of the safety and legal bases.

I use a Falcon All Terrain tow bar, a stay-n-play duo braking system and a light kit that plugs into my output plug on my tow vehicle.

Last edited:
Make sure you put the transfer case in neutral and steering wheel unlocked. I've heard horror stories.

Flat towing brake requirements can be found here: http://www.readybrake.com/state-towing-laws.html

Very few states still permit towing a vehicle the weight of a jeep without operable brakes on the towed vehicle. Many states now require break-away brakes as well. Idaho requires brakes with the break-away feature for any towed trailer or vehicle weighing more than 1,500 lbs. It doesn't matter if your tow rig can "stop it fine," you must have brakes to avoid a citation or denial of an insurance claim.

In addition to a tow bar with safety chains, brakes for the towed rig and rear lighting, be sure that the steering is unlocked, auto transmission in park (manual transmission in 2nd or 3rd gear), and the transfer case in neutral.

This thread may be useful: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-properly-tow-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.2479/

Reactions: bobthetj03
SB bumper with SB tow bar, Ready Brake with 10" drop flipped upside down, magnetic stop/tail lights from Harbor Freight. I had pics but I must have deleted them. I do need to add a break away system since some states require them. Have gone from CA to Idaho without issue.

Like @Mr. Bills stated, whether or not your rig can stop fine while towing your TJ, if something happens and you are not running a required braking system you are likely to be found at fault, denied an insurance claim, and be financially liable. Per my CHP bud, there could also be criminal charges under certain circumstances.

Using a half ton pick up myself with aftermarket brakes I found out pretty quickly that towing the TJ and loaded down with 10 days of hunting gear is simply too much for just the pick up's brakes.

Another important point, especially for the OP, is the speed limit in Idaho and other states is 80 in many areas, towing included. Consider that when deciding whether or not your truck's brakes are enough.

If you plan to flat tow often, consider a plug-n-play wiring harness for brake lights. I use a 4 pole round trailer socket that installed in the grill, but you could easily tuck a 4 pole flat behind the grill when not in use.

If you plan to flat tow often, consider a plug-n-play wiring harness for brake lights. I use a 4 pole round trailer socket that installed in the grill, but you could easily tuck a 4 pole flat behind the grill when not in use.

^^ This.

The previous owner of my LJ flat towed it behind his motorhome with a Blue Ox towbar and had a 7-way plug installed behind the front bumper of the LJ for one of these:

95-12806-05-2T.jpg

I used a similar arrangement for flat towing my CJ-7, but with a 6-wire cable, which did double duty as the connecting cable for towing my '46 Bantam jeep trailer behind the jeep.

Using 6- or 7-wire sockets and plugs rather than 4-wire allows the same connecting cable to be used for trailers and towed vehicles with or without trailer brakes, with or without a 12v battery that needs to be kept charged, etc.

I try to plan for versatility and convenience whenever possible.

Thanks for all the ideas and reply, i am now looking to take the advice and put a brake system in the jeep.
Now i need to find a gently used ones if you know of any please send them my way to talk.
Thanks Again everyone's help

I found a Brake Buddy used on CL, and a Falcon II tow bar setup at a reasonable price. They are out there.

I was doing this same dance earlier this year to tow my 05 LJ, finally decided to just by a new car trailer, not that much more in cost comparison from outfitting the jeep with the proper equipment since I tow it long distances across a few states.

Reactions: alittleoff
I was doing this same dance earlier this year to tow my 05 LJ, finally decided to just by a new car trailer, not that much more in cost comparison from outfitting the jeep with the proper equipment since I tow it long distances across a few states.

This works if you have the tow rating to do so...a car trailer increases the towing load by about 1200+ pounds. The Pro is if the jeep breaks while wheeling, you can still get it home.

I also considered [a car hauler trailer] but that but that would mean I need a extra spot to store the trailer as well as the jeep at a camp site or park!

Another consideration is State Park and National Forest campgrounds. Depending on what one uses for a tow rig (motorhome, pickup, etc.) and where one goes, there are campgrounds with length limitations that preclude being able to use a trailer vs. unhooking a flat towed rig and driving it in separately.

Still, if I had the room to store a car hauler trailer and a 3/4 ton truck to tow it I would buy one in a heartbeat. (A 1/2 ton truck just isn't enough despite what FoMoCo claims about the F150 in its marketing materials.)

I flat towed mine for a year or so before buying my car hauler. I now have a Big Tex 60SP and pull it with a Ford Expedition using an Equal-i-zer WD hitch. Pulls like a dream at 65-70.

While not directly related to your question, here are a couple things I figured i'd touch on:

-When flat towing, T-Case in Neutral, Trans in gear or P. If the trans is also in neutral, you will burn it up. The trans oil pump is only functioning when the engine is running.

-If you are still running the stock "inverted Y" setup, ideally the tow bar will be as level as possible, or up to 2-3" nose down IIRC. If the tow bar is at too extreme of an angle, it will compress the front suspension while in tow. When the "inverted Y" steering compresses, it toes the front tires out. You could find that it will wear out your front tires prematurely.

-I never did tow with a braking system in the Jeep, but did NOT like how it flat towed behind my Expedition without the brakes. This is what drove me to get a trailer. I feel much more comfortable with an extra 1600lbs in a trailer behind me than just the Jeep by itself. The trailer brakes help a lot. I assume the same would go for flat towing with towed vehicle brakes.