Flat towing TJ (specifically attachment to tow bar toad)

Farmergreg

The work will set you free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For those that flat tow their TJ.

Looking at the Blue Ox site they show two different brackets depending on the year. Must be a reason based on the frame attachment points?

Is anyone towing off their aftermarket bumper?

I’m looking to keep maximum clearance.
Any pics of your set ups?

I don't have any pics but I flat tow off my RockHard 4X4 bumper.

Bumper.jpg

Reactions: Farmergreg
For those that flat tow their TJ.

Looking at the Blue Ox site they show two different brackets depending on the year. Must be a reason based on the frame attachment points?

Is anyone towing off their aftermarket bumper?

I’m looking to keep maximum clearance.
Any pics of your set ups?

This is a Smittybilt XRC bumper with a Roadmaster towbar. The bumper eyelets are double welded, front and back.

9B107709-FADF-4485-AD70-9DB390147446.jpeg

I had a local shop fabricate attachment points for my factory bumper that bolt thru the bumper and frame. I also wanted to avoid losing clearance and keep the jeep light via retaining the factory bumper.

My tow bar is a blue ox. Not sure which model, but the shop made the tow points based on the tow bar.
20200530_113835.jpg
20190816_133930.jpg

I had a local shop fabricate attachment points for my factory bumper that bolt thru the bumper and frame. I also wanted to avoid losing clearance and keep the jeep light via retaining the factory bumper.

My tow bar is a blue ox. Not sure which model, but the shop made the tow points based on the tow bar. View attachment 168621View attachment 168622
I like this idea! And clean d-max

Reactions: DaveC
Roadmaster makes frame mounted brackets for their tow bar mount, but it is not very user friendly, and does rob a little clearance, which is why I changed to the d-ring mounts instead.
20161203_113431.jpg

Following up. Blue Ox makes a “slip over” clevis style attachment point and the adapter brackets to fit their tow bar. To buy these would have been close to $800.

My friend has a large CNC plasma and we had him cut out the 3/4” material. We bent 5/16 X 4” material to slip over the stock bumper (like guns and religion, I bitterly cling to my stock front bumper😂)

I now have solid recovery points for a clevis also.
7279FAFC-E371-4195-90D5-635AE3698AC0.jpeg

EDA63B91-9FEB-49CB-BBCF-AF536E2CF681.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC
I do toastmaster latest version brackets without the crossbar with Arb front bumper

I just have to take the two knuckles out and I’m done

The Currie brackets will work with a stock bumper.

View attachment 168624
View attachment 168623
I like this option for my OEM bumper, but where do you hook the safety chains with this setup?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now - they're attached to the Currie tow bar in this setup. I've been looking at the other style of tow bars where the safety chains aren't connected to the bars, but go from the tow vehicle to the Jeep.

Last edited: