Flooded TJ - What am I getting into?

So I go through these phases where I cruise the Jeep classifieds. I came up on one today that is interesting. It's a '97 4 Banger for a decent price and it's the same color as my '97 Sport. It has a factory hardtop, seats have no rips, it has full doors. Mine has an aging soft top, half doors, a ripped up driver's seat and my hood is oxidized. I could swap parts and the parts alone are almost worth the asking price. Here's the catch. The Jeep was driven through deep water and according to the Seller it has run very rough ever since. If I pull the trigger, I would like to see if it's worth it to try and figure out what's wrong with it. If so, I could grab the parts and flip it for a nice sum. Any thoughts as to what is making it run rough after taking a swim.

Also, another note, the Jeep isn't rusty according to the Seller and the water was fresh river water.

Thanks

Reactions: Chris
If it's worth it for the parts alone, I would buy it. Honestly, if it still runs, but just runs rough, I would think it's nothing that serious. Though I will say that some members such as @JeepNWilly can speak first hand as to the amount of damage that standing water inside the transmission and other things can cause.

So if it's the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. However, I'd think of it as a worst possible case scenario. Such as if you want it to run right again, you may have to buy a brand new engine. Again, that's worst case scenario, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Reactions: HongKongDrifter
Buy it for the doors, seats, top, hood. But don't buy it for anything electronic or mechanical. Likely the diffs, tranny and transfer case all have water in them. And depending on for how long?? there could be irreversible damage.

But if yer lucky the rough running could just be a few water damaged ignition parts.

Thanks. I was thinking the same. I can get my money from the parts. I'm pretty sure I could flip it for what I pay for it which would mean the parts are free. He said it would take him about ten days to get a replacement title and he would call if it hasn't sold.

Honestly unless I'm mistaken if it was hydrolocked it wouldn't run at all. Unless maybe one cylinder is locked. Don't know if that's a thing or what that would do to it, but If it runs rough I would say it's fixable and if it's a good price go for it. I am curious what is causing it to run rough. If you get it be sure to let us know!

Worth it to fix it? Probably not but some people love project vehicles no matter the condition.

Last edited:
I have taken apart several motors that hydro locked or have gotten water in Some that ran rough after getting started I found bent connecting rod Not sure on 4 cyl on some cars I've worked on could drop rod out from bottom with out total dissemble
Ah my bad. Don't listen to me. I thought if it hydro locked it was toast. I do remember reading hydrolocking often bends the rods. Guess thats not the same as the engine locking up. Have a friend who's oil pan plug fell out going 70 and it fused his engine together he claims. Sold it for 700 bucks. Total loss.

My guess is that it won't work out. It never seems like a deal for a vehicle that doesn't happen right then ever works. If, for some reason, it does, I will let you guys know. Price is $2500 firm and my hope would be do the swapparooni and sell it for about the same. In essence get some free parts. If it's fixable, it's a bonus.

I have taken apart several motors that hydro locked or have gotten water in Some that ran rough after getting started I found bent connecting rod Not sure on 4 cyl on some cars I've worked on could drop rod out from bottom with out total dissemble
I think there was a thread recently of a guy showing pictures of a bent rod. Just depends on how much water entered the cylinder...s.

On the topic of submerged vehicles... Not sure I'd buy anything used from Houston.

Reactions: Tj04
Ah my bad. Don't listen to me. I thought if it hydro locked it was toast. I do remember reading hydrolocking often bends the rods. Guess thats not the same as the engine locking up. Have a friend who's oil pan plug fell out going 70 and it fused his engine together he claims. Sold it for 700 bucks. Total loss.
Engines, trannys, difs can run a long time without oil. It is overheating which kills them.

It might be ok if you intend just to use it off road. The electrical connections may want to corrode. You could disconnect them and spray anti corrosion product in them, Any electric motor may be ruined. Fix the power plant and it should do ok for general off roading.
That is my 1 cent opinion.

Reactions: VallenMaes and JMT
This would most likely just be a flip. If the fix is going to take more than an hour and I think I can get my $ out of it, I would be happy to pass on the good fortune to someone else. I will check back with the Seller next week. I'm wagering I will get a "it's sold" message.

This isn't the first time I've done this. Two years ago, I was looking at CL and saw someone post an ad for a $1000 '97 Sahara. Figured it was BS but I called. I was the second caller but I had cash on hand. On the phone, the Seller willingly said, the lowest he would go was $800. I wasn't even bargaining. So the catch was that the frame was completely rusted out. I mean parts of it were actually missing. It was so bad that every bump I hit on the road, I felt the body bounce off the frame. (Yes, I know I shouldn't have driven it). When I got there, the guy had a title issue. I bought it anyway. It was worth $800. I used the Sahara and raided it for the better parts for my current Jeep. I thought I would make a killing but after two months of trying to sell it, I wound up selling it for $1400. Still it was a good deal for me. You would think the rust was the biggest issue but it was the title issue that scared the potential buyers away. This is why I'm not willing to jump on this one until the title issue is fixed.

The longish point is, I've learned that if you look at Jeep classifieds daily, you find great deals. They disappear quickly but they can be found. It's easy for me because I love looking at pictures of Jeeps.

Reactions: Mike_H
The longish point is, I've learned that if you look at Jeep classifieds daily, you find great deals. They disappear quickly but they can be found. It's easy for me because I love looking at pictures of Jeeps.

Looking daily is key. That's how I found my mainly rust free sub 10k Rubicon. It was about 3500 under anything else I was looking at. I found two in as many days, the first one I called on was already gone, but the second one worked out. Having Cash on hand helps tremendously as well.

so true, there is always a better deal tomorrow.

Story about a Lincoln. Years ago a family friend passed away. At the will reading an extra woman showed up. Instructions to the guys wife were. "Sell the Lincoln and give the proceeds to Misty".

Well wife took out an ad, New Lincoln for sale. First $50 bucks takes it. Sold same day.

Next meeting in the law office she hands over the bill of sale, registration, $50.... and says "I'm sure you earned it Honey".

If it took on water via the intake I would think possibly hydro lock to some extent.

If it's worth it for the parts alone, I would buy it. Honestly, if it still runs, but just runs rough, I would think it's nothing that serious. Though I will say that some members such as @JeepNWilly can speak first hand as to the amount of damage that standing water inside the transmission and other things can cause.

So if it's the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. However, I'd think of it as a worst possible case scenario. Such as if you want it to run right again, you may have to buy a brand new engine. Again, that's worst case scenario, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yup water in trans is no good at all. It is like cancer will show its ugly self when you least expect it.