Floorboard heat and spark plugs and who knows

JTrigg

Ok, so I am not a Jeep guy, yet. But it don't mean I can't think or use my reasoning cap. And two issues seem to converge into a solution, maybe.

Issue one, is there was a tremendous amount of heat coming up, via the cat converter, through the floorboard. My girl first recognized it, and presumed I had the heater on. I found it even more noticeable coming home from work one day, ( a rough 36 mile commute) and noting after about 10 or so miles a huge amount of heat coming up via the floorboards. I climbed under, noted the cat was basically right under the passenger seat. As well, I have a heavy steel skid plate that sandwiches the entire thing, and therefore double the radiant factor.

Typical solutions ran to the idea of a reflective / insulative material placed under the carpet, etc., as apparently this is a Jeep thing. But although I could feel the Jeep quirk vibe, I was not thinking the sheer amount of HOT I was experiencing could be "normal", even as a quirk. But, it was a project that was not my number one priority to fix. So...

So, week two of Jeep and a few days off meant time to take care of some more issues (post throttle body cleaning last week). Wires, plugs, cap, rotor. The picture below is the old plugs. Not in real good shape. They came out easily enough, but moisture had evidently been a problem at some point in time, and it had not cooked off by engine temp. I surmised that with plugs looking like so, the wires were likely not all that great, and figured once the change over was done I would see some improvements more than ordinary. Went back in with essentially "stock" non performance parts. I did insure, however, I went with non aluminum contacts in the cap.

Since the tune up, floorboard heat has been more of a degree I would call "Jeep quirk" and not blast furnace. My assumption at this time is that at least one cylinder was getting a misfire or similar and dumping gas out the exhaust valve. Hence the high cat temps. So...if your Jeep is:

Very high floorboard temps + possible plug or wire issues / age / deterioration

They may be related.

If I note that floor temps rise back up to crazy levels, I will edit this post to show it.

As well, I had noted that, prior to the wire change, fuel consumption had been HIGH. I know it isn't a Prius, and I am not sure as of yet what is normal for this particular Jeep, but it did seem a bit over the top. And, engine water temp has gone down a bit SINCE the change, sub 210, when it was running 210 prior. Can't say for gas mileage,yet.

Plugs: NGK (3459) ZFR5N V-Power

Wires: Denso 671-6128 Original Equipment Replacement Wires

Cap: Standard Motor Products Ignition Cap - FD177 (this one has the brass terminal ends , Made in USA)

Rotor: Standard Motor Products FD-316 Distributor Rotor

20200120_100909.jpg

Is the carpeting still on the floor, and is the sheet metal heat shield mounted just above the catalytic converter still in place?

Carpet still on the floor, but I doubt it is original carpet. Don't know what OEM carpet looks like, but this is not it in my estimation. There is what appears to be a quilted heat barrier above the cat, but I am not sure "how much" should be there, as I again have zero idea of what the OE or design was.

If the heat shield is there then it is the right one. Or an aftermarket of similar size. It's either there or not pretty much. That being said, putting a good thick rubber floor mat inside can help keep the heat down. There are a few other things like thick carpet with propper backing and installing some self adhesive heat shield inside on the floor. But just try a good heavy floor mat first. Come warm weather with the top down you won't be bothered by a bit of a warm floorboard.
As for the spark plugs, they look like they were running well. The rust on the exterior could be from several reasons, but the part that matters looks like the engine is in good running condition. You may have had a sticky valve at first. The rust on the sparkplugs suggest the Jeep has been sitting unused for a while. But they show that as of when you changed them all cylinders were running well.

thanks to all

You might also check the floor plate/rubber gasket at the base of you shift lever. In my 06, I had a bunch of sporadic heat coming in. the plate replacement knocked it down significantly. I also covered the floor and trans hump with heat shielding from home depot, and with the bedrug on top, the heat issue was eliminated.
hope it helps
Ray

+1 on what WWIIJeeper said. If your shift boot is torn, expect a blast furnace to come through. Common issue. I also insulated my floor and greatly reduced both the heat and road noise. Take a day, remove your interior, clean it thoroughly, install the insulation and voila. I replaced the carpet at the same time.

Pulled the carpet up, on the passenger side, today for an unrelated reason (and a new posting). There was an extra piece of matting there. So far (so far) things are good. If the issue comes back, I will pursue some of the solutions above, and of course others may see the posting and solutions provided. Thank you, again....

As for the spark plugs, they look like they were running well. The rust on the exterior could be from several reasons, but the part that matters looks like the engine is in good running condition. You may have had a sticky valve at first. The rust on the sparkplugs suggest the Jeep has been sitting unused for a while. But they show that as of when you changed them all cylinders were running well.

As you note, the rust was (so far as I know from what I was told and could observe) the Jeep had been sitting for about a year, outside. Lots of leaves and such had also accumulated. It started right up, and the plugs do look fine on the business end. But the wires may have been an issue. It certainly does idle better now. I still believe there was an issue somewhere in the ignition system that was resolved when the tune up was done.

Reactions: Blondie70
Ignition systems and moisture are never a good mix. Its freaky how fast they can fall apart. Sparkplug wires are one of the most neglected pieces of an engine. I've seen a light show under the hood at night coming from wires that were 'good as new'. Well they were new, back 20 yrs ago when the vehicle was made.

Reactions: JTrigg
Added note.....as someone above suggested, I pulled the shift console up and just had a peek under for the heck of it.

Big open hole. Where shift lever comes up from top of trans into the cab. Probably used to be something there. A rubber flap or whatever. No longer. I covered it with a piece of thick cardboard for now.

Go outside at night and open the hood and start the engine. Look for stray voltage. You might be surprised what you see.

Go outside at night and open the hood and start the engine. Look for stray voltage. You might be surprised what you see.

Its all good now. Or at least good enough I can address other issues. Idles well, no hesitation, and all the other stuff....