Fluctuating idle

bigwheel53

Today when I got to the Dr. app. I noticed my idle was higher than normal,like1200 rpm. Tapping the pedal a couple of times and the idle came down to normal. It happened a couple of more times while running my errands. I checked the throttle linkage and nothing going on there. I did notice that the flange on my exhaust pipe to manifold was loose. I tried to tighten it up but no go. looks like I have to change the manifold studs. My question is, will this exhaust leak have anything to do with the fluctuating idle? Also has anyone ever changed the manifold studs? The manifold flange is kind of thin and I don't want to break it off. Anybody have any input on these two headaches?

I sprayed my studs with penetrating oil when engine was cold...many times over a couple weeks. I got under it with a long extention and worked the nuts right and left (loosen and tighten) but not hard enuf to break anything. Once I got some movement and with more spray, the nuts started moving pretty good. Enough to get her tightened up.
Good luck