Fluid film and sand

gaabbee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So we had a couple of nice days here and decided to head out to the beach. (We can drive on a couple of beaches here) First year using fluid film and seems to be great with salty roads. Now every time I go to the beach I wash everything down. Noticed a huge amount of sand stuck to the under body. Most of it washed off but there is a fine layer of sand still stuck to the fluid film.

What would you do? Power wash the fluid film off for the summer? Not sure if its doing more harm in this situation.

Yep, it will attract sand and it won't go away without a pressure wash.

If it were me I would pressure wash it all off and put more Fluid Film on. That's about the only thing you can do, honestly.

Yep, it will attract sand and it won't go away without a pressure wash.

If it were me I would pressure wash it all off and put more Fluid Film on. That's about the only thing you can do, honestly.
See the thing is I will be going on the beach a lot this summer. So I really don't want to be applying this stuff every 2 or 3 weeks. I wasn't sure if it was considered fine because the fluid film is keeping water away and not reacting with the salt and metal.

That's just a drawback of using FF. Kinda sucks, but it's doing its job.

If you're done with salt, plan to stay away from the ocean and dislike that sand, pressure washing will take care of it.

After pressure washing, reapplying the Fluid Film before getting near anything salty is mandatory.

My experience so far is Fluid Film before winter and I have no oceans close enough to drive my TJ into.

I drive on the beaches of the Outer Banks many times through out the year. I had never applied Fluid Film or any thing else. I do pressure wash the underside of the Jeep and rinse out the frame really well once I get back home. And I stay out of the water and wet sand. I've not had any more rust than any of my other vehicles that have never been on the beach.

I drive on the beaches of the Outer Banks many times through out the year. I had never applied Fluid Film or any thing else. I do pressure wash the underside of the Jeep and rinse out the frame really well once I get back home. And I stay out of the water and wet sand. I've not had any more rust than any of my other vehicles that have never been on the beach.
Yea it's nice living in a state that doesn't salt the roads. They just started salting here (used to be sand) so I wanted to test out the FF because its hard to wash your truck under 32* Now I'm wondering the effects of it for my summer time fun, but I fallow the same routine you do after beach days and never touch the actual salt water or any wet sand.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Just let it be. A little sand won't hurt anything. Do your normal clean-up to get sand out of bushings and ujoints and such. Re-apply in the fall when you are done with the sand and have done a good end-of-summer cleaning and then hit it with FF again for the winter. You could try using some cosmoline in a test area. It is much less 'wet' and lasts much longer. Spray on an axle for a test and see how that does with the summer sands. If it doesn't pick up all the sand then that might be your best option.

That sand is not going to do anything, let it stay in there.
You are obviously don't understand how FF works and why it prevents rust from happening.

Maybe you could explain it instead of being a dbag to a newbie. Just sayin.

You don't understand how rust forms, as a result you don't understand why anti-rust treatment works.
You are stressing because you don't understand, and you don't understand that you are stressing over nothing.
You don't understand why some sand in there is fine, and why a shovel worth of sand in there is not fine.
You don't understand that because you don't know basics, there is no "one answer fits all".
You don't understand that calling someone a dbag for pointing your shortcomings so you could better yourself, and then hiding behind a label of as an innocent newbie is gonna get you nothing more than a "fuck off".

...just saying

• Haha
Reactions: qslim
You don't understand how rust forms, as a result you don't understand why anti-rust treatment works.
You are stressing because you don't understand, and you don't understand that you are stressing over nothing.
You don't understand why some sand in there is fine, and why a shovel worth of sand in there is not fine.
You don't understand that because you don't know basics, there is no "one answer fits all".
You don't understand that calling someone a dbag for pointing your shortcomings so you could better yourself, and then hiding behind a label of as an innocent newbie is gonna get you nothing more than a "fuck off".

...just saying
I think you are confusing @steelhd and me as the OP....Anyway not sure why you got so mad. I stated above what my concerns were and why. Since your reading skills are lacking please leave this thread as I will assume (just as you did about me) that you have no idea what you are talking about.

...just saying
Hey deuce bag Fuck Off!

I think you are confusing @steelhd and me as the OP....Anyway not sure why you got so mad. I stated above what my concerns were and why. Since your reading skills are lacking please leave this thread as I will assume (just as you did about me) that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have confused you two indeed, my derp

...just saying

Can we turn this into some sort of theme song for the forum? Who here can write music?