Fluid Film Sucks

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I safeguarded my Jeep from the Terrors of the Winter last autumn and then went to work on some steering issues today. I look like I came off shift working a damn oil rig, this shit is sticky and everywhere. I now have dedicated clothing for TJ undercarriage work and a bunch of wrenches that will NOT corrode.

I just wanted to complain because my wife's already tuned me out for the day.

I use it in my bike frame... It's nasty stuff. Smells bad, sticky, slimy... It's just gross. I'd rather not drive my TJ in winter than coat it in that stuff.

I agree with @Mike_H, I would rather just not drive it during the nasty season than deal with that crap. It's nasty as hell, but it does indeed work.

If you're driving in winter with salt on the roads, the pros outweigh the cons.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yeah, I still like to drive it in the winter - it's fun. I figure I got pretty lucky snagging a '99 with very little rust and I might as well keep it from degrading. Next fall I think I might just stick to the inner frame rather than blasting that shit everywhere like I did last Sept. I'm probably carrying around 40lbs of pollen and dead bugs right now, this stuff attracts everything. I'm glad I don't live in Fl anymore for Love Bug season, the TJ would probably bog down under it's own weight.

All rustproofing is a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned but it's a necessary evil in some climates. I did some minor work on my XJ today and came away filthy. The 2 previous owner of it were friends and they actually used grease in some areas as rust protection. They were a bit crazy but they did a good job of preserving it.

This is the time of year when it's finally warm use my pressure washer again. I usually hit the suspension first and then as much of the underside as I can. I don't go too crazy under the hood but I'm not shy about it either.

And in the Fall I get to start the rustproofing cycle all over again!

Reactions: fourpointzero
Living in the rust belt I usually bail if I see that stuff on a used car. It's primarily used to cover up tons of rust. And while it can help prevent rust on pristine steel, it does not stop existing rust. The worst of which is usually on the inside of the frame, where almost nobody ever treats.

Reactions: Reign Mack
Living in the rust belt I usually bail if I see that stuff on a used car. It's primarily used to cover up tons of rust. And while it can help prevent rust on pristine steel, it does not stop existing rust. The worst of which is usually on the inside of the frame, where almost nobody ever treats.

I've been taking my vehicles to Krown Rustproofing for the last 30 years or so and they spray the inside of the frame and body panels as well as under the hood, the back side of the bumpers, etc..

You talking about an undercoating sealant? Fluid Film doesn't cover up rust, you can still see it all. It's just greasy.

Reactions: PCO6
Living in the NE, that stuff has been a Jeep-saver. And as far as collecting dust, it does but to a point. Debri chunks, I have not seen.

You talking about an undercoating sealant? Fluid Film doesn't cover up rust, you can still see it all. It's just greasy.

Ok, I must have it confused with something else. The stuff I've seen is thick, sticky, tar. Covers everything and somewhat hardens over time, but if you grab the frame or whatever it's still goopy.

Ok, I must have it confused with something else. The stuff I've seen is thick, sticky, tar. Covers everything and somewhat hardens over time, but if you grab the frame or whatever it's still goopy.

Yeah I know what you're talking about, like a soft gooey black coating. This stuff just comes in regular spraycans with a straw. It's a little more viscous than WD-40, you can wipe if off pretty easily. People complain about the smell, it doesn't really bother me. I took the TJ through the undercarriage touchless wash 5 or 6 times since I sprayed last year and it's about gone.

Yeah I know what you're talking about, like a soft gooey black coating. This stuff just comes in regular spraycans with a straw. It's a little more viscous than WD-40, you can wipe if off pretty easily. People complain about the smell, it doesn't really bother me. I took the TJ through the undercarriage touchless wash 5 or 6 times since I sprayed last year and it's about gone.

I've been using it for awhile now, and the smell goes away after a day or two. I got tired of using the spray cans and bought their spray gun. I can coat the undercarriage of my LJ in less than 10 minutes.

I do drive my LJ in the winter, but when the roads are dry and there's no wet salt slurry. I wash it at the touchless car wash, and like you have to reapply after a few washes.