Fog Light Install Questions

liquidfluidity

TJ Enthusiast
So, I have came to a stopping point in my build and am starting to address small details like fog lights. The po had installed an aftermarket front bumper. It has tabs to mount the stock fogs but no fogs. I have found the original pigtails but they are tucked up and wrapped as though they were never used. There also is not a switch on the dash. My question is - how likely is it that the wiring / loom is behind the dash(for the switch) also, thus allowing me to just buy some stock fogs and the stock switch, mount everything and be good to go?

2002 Sport. Hmmm, didn't think of that.Mine also has the multi-function stalk. Is there a mark on it that signifies that they are on or will they just come on automatically with the low beams? If so, I may just do some separate wiring to control them independently.

On that style, the end of the stalk pulls out to turn the fogs on. A green fog light symbol in the upper left side of the instrument cluster will light up when they are on.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I moved my factory fog lights to brackets up by the windshield, and put 9" pencil beam driving lights on the bumper in the stock location. The driving lights give me long distance lights on the road, and the factory lights have a wide dispersion for night time trail running.

I wanted to use the stock fog light switch on the multi-function stalk, and be able to choose which lights to turn on (driving, fog, or both). I wired them per the diagram below. To make things easy, I used the power wire at one of the factory fog lights to feed power from the original turn signal switch to the two relays. I added two auxiliary switches inside to control the individual lights.

As you can see from the diagram, each set of lights gets power directly from the battery through a fuse and a relay using appropriately sized wire. To trigger the relays, the factory fog light switch supplies positive 12V, and the accessory switches supply the negative ground. If I only want the driving lights, I flip the accessory switch for them. Then I can use the factory switch to turn them on and off. If I want the fog lights, I flip that switch. If I want both, I flip both accessory switches. No matter what I choose, the factory fog light switch then is used to turn them on and off. This design can be used for any number of lights, you just need to add more relays and accessory switches. The accessory switches can be mounted anywhere you have room, they don't really need to be close to hand. Once you select which lights you want, you just use the factory switch to turn them on and off.
FogLightWiring.gif
IMG_0405.JPG

Really? I did not know that. I will check that out for sure. Thanks for the tip! I have had 4 Wranglers and for some reason or another, none had fogs installed....

I don't remember what year they changed from the switch being under the climate controls to being on the end of the turn signal stalk, but I'm sure someone here knows.

My Rubi is an '03 with fog switch on stalk. PO had removed fogs and when I bought pr to install I figured I'd use the factory, I thought, dash switch. Not sure where that one came from. It was plug and play using the stalk switch and factory harness and relays.

My Rubi is an '03 with fog switch on stalk. PO had removed fogs and when I bought pr to install I figured I'd use the factory, I thought, dash switch. Not sure where that one came from. It was plug and play using the stalk switch and factory harness and relays.

I used the OEM fog switch on my 03 rubicon to control my aux LED's. Works great.
20181129_132747.jpg

Well, I confirmed that I do have the switch on the end of the stalk and it is functional. Now I just have to find a set of stock fog pig tails and decide on which LEDs I want.

Thanks everyone!
I cut my oem fog light connections off, blue was positive, black negative, and soldered wire to extended up to the windshield cowl and connected duestch connections to the end and those clip into the rigid connection.

Well, I confirmed that I do have the switch on the end of the stalk and it is functional. Now I just have to find a set of stock fog pig tails and decide on which LEDs I want.

Thanks everyone!

A possibility if you can't get some used pig tails, Quadratec sells an extension harness. You could cut it to get your pigtails. Kinda sucks to have to cut a brand new $25 harnesses, but a possibility.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0905_14.htm

Thanks for that link. I haven't even started looking - sooo many to choose from
Absolutely! I bought the $10 lights on spec, I figured if they're crap, I'm only out $20. So far, they look like decent quality with an aluminum finned body, and they lit up pretty good when I tried them in the garage in the dark. I'll let you know when I have them mounted and can try them on a dark road.

I also bought the $60 light bar, it's got yellow LEDs on the outside, and white in the middle. I can wire them separate and use the yellow ones as fog lights, and the white ones for driving.

I'm sure the $300 and $600 lights are better, but geeze, $600 for lights?

Installed a rag front bumper with fogs and a light bar.its illigal to run light bar but when I unplug bar the fogs flicker.could a do a switch of the harness to turn light bar off and on? If so how do I do so? Thanks ahead.