For those of you who hate Torx

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
2B27B601-C188-4790-AF1E-FC00B9549DFC.jpeg

I don't hate Torx, but I feel like Whirlpool was trying to troll me anyway. Check out this ridiculous tool that was included in a replacement dishwasher part I received: a phillips head screw with a Torx driver on the other end.

It was a real "WTF?" kind of moment. It was designed this way for a purpose, but why? I don't get it!

Of course, this is also a company that uses plastic parts in an appliance that repeatedly uses high temperatures on a daily basis, but offers metal replacement parts that probably should've been installed in the first place.

I'm starting to sound like a cranky old man.

Last edited:
You are seeing more and more of them because they work better in mas production. What is really upsetting is when you come across one that is called a Security Torx.

Oh, I have. Fortunately, I was living near a Home Depot at the time.

It’s not that I hate Torx in of itself, it’s that the correct size driver I need is usually missing from my set and hiding somewhere among all my screwdrivers. I will swear a blue streak and give Torx fasteners a middle finger when one of my companies products will have a dozen metric Allen head screws and one Torx holding something together.

Working on German cars has given me a strong feeling of hatred towards Torx.

Same thing with GM vehicles using them on their brake caliper slides.

I don’t mind torx on small screws like trim screws and such that just need to be hand tight.

what I do not like is torx on screws that require the use of a ratchet. Maybe it’s user error but I find that I have a challenge keeping the bit straight while turning. If they had super short bits or something, I wouldn’t mind as much.

I actually don't mind torx. Sounds crazy I know, but I've been around them a lot with German cars. I find that torx is the least likely to strip out, especially when using a good quality bit. This helps a lot being from rusty salty New England. The torx head itself seems to allow for the most grip, where a slot or philips screw will just strip immediately. Philips is probably the stupidest design ever.