Ford hit with $1.7 billion verdict for F-series pickup roof collapse that killed couple

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
New York (CNN Business)The family of an elderly couple killed when the roof of their F-250 pickup collapsed during a rollover accident in 2014 has been awarded a massive $1.7 billion in punitive damages from Ford.

The jury appeared to endorse the plaintiff's arguments that Ford knew of the problem years before the fatal crash, acted slowly to correct it and that other deaths have resulted from the same design flaw.

Evidence presented in the case showed that the F-250 pickups made in the 17 model years prior to 2017 all pose a risk to drivers and passengers in cases of a rollover, said Jim Butler Jr., the attorney who won the verdict. He said 5.2 million trucks have been built with the same faulty roof.

Perhaps even more troubling is that the best-selling F-150 pickups made before Model Year 2009 have a very similar roof design, Butler said. The F-150 has been the best selling US vehicle of any type for more than 40 years.

If punitive damages are upheld by higher courts, the Hill family and their attorneys will only get 25% of the award amount. Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts. The only way the plaintiffs would get the full amount of punitive damages is if there is a settlement reached between the two sides, Butler said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/22/business/ford-1-7-billion-dollar-verdict/index.html

• Wow
Reactions: rasband
“Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts”

What a nice way for the state to collect $800M 🥴 I wonder if they’ll be taxed on it just like the family 🤔 disgusting

“Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts”

What a nice way for the state to collect $800M 🥴 I wonder if they’ll be taxed on it just like the family 🤔 disgusting

They passed a law in hopes of "capping and discouraging large judgements".

I think they accomplished the opposite.

Reactions: ranger101
Plus they were old and probably lived a good life

I don't know. Maybe they were horrible people and raised a family of grifters that finally hit the big one. The world may have been better off if the whole family was in the back too.

The article didn't say.

• Haha
Reactions: Huckster and Rickyd