Forgot what a turd my Jeep is on the highway

04 LJ

🇺🇸 JEEP 🇺🇸
Supporting Member
Daughter had camp today which was about 45 mins away so I figured I’d bring out the Jeep for its first cruise since last year. Got on the highway and didn’t know what to watch...the gas needle going down or the speedometer continually dropping unless I flicked the OD off switch. Sigh. Guess it’s time to budget for gears.

On a side note I had no overheating after the cooling system overhaul, even when the preggo wife got hot and turned the AC on (in her defense, the mirror was reading 101). I did haowever have a shimmy in the steering wheel at higher speeds that I don’t remember having last year. NEVER had any death wobble or anything even remotely close but the shimmy bothers me. Tires were balanced (supposedly) along with a front end alignment at the stealership when I bought it last year and I only put 150 miles on it before I parked it for the winter. Was thinking something may be worn out but the steering is tight aside from that shimmy at higher speeds. I swear it feels like they are out of balance. I guess I could have a bent rim and not know it. The OE steering stabilizer from 04 is still on but I don’t want to get attacked for trying to “mask a problem” with a new one. Decisions!

64BDF362-CD66-47E0-A2EC-4BEB765B2F90.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I just bought my LJR and had dw. Replaced the track bar drag link zj tie rod ends and balanced the tires. Now no dw but get a shimmy right around 60 mph and higher. I'm reading around to check u joints and control arm bushings but don't know where to start. Are you on stock control arms?

I just swapped tires a couple days ago and had a bad shimmy around 55mph after the swap, so obviously tire related. Had them rebalanced yesterday morning and they’re smooth as can be now and it only cost me $43. Was doing 80 no problem. I would start simple.

amen , tire pressure and balance #1

A shimmy is always a tire balance issue. Even if you just had them balanced, take them back to the shop (if you trust them to get it right) and insist that they get it perfect. Our TJ’s are very finicky, especially when you put larger than stock tires on it, but even with stock sometimes.

A new steering damper will only lighten your wallet $35, which won’t help the shimmy. All a steering damper does is smooth out very small events.

Beautiful LJ!

I have to say, I drive on the highway quite a bit and run around 70mph all the time without any issues and that is in this very hilly area of Western PA. I am impressed with my Jeep, but maybe my tires are smaller and it is just me in the Jeep usually. Don't know. Mine is a 5sp, with 4.10's so maybe that helps as well?

Tires were balanced (supposedly) along with a front end alignment at the stealership when I bought it last year ...

Do you know if they were road force balanced or just spin balanced?

The OE steering stabilizer from 04 is still on but I don’t want to get attacked for trying to “mask a problem” with a new one. Decisions!

replace the steering stabilizer

Reactions: 04 LJ
No shimmy or DW on mine, but I had a brake rotor with a warp that put a shimmy in a Nissan PU. That's what I get for upgrading the brakes with parts from Auto Zone.

Do you know if they were road force balanced or just spin balanced?
Honestly. I’m not sure. I bent the stealership over so honestly they were probably eye balanced.

“Hey Greg, you look at those tires on the Jeep for that guy”?
“Yeah Bob, I looked and they look balanced to me”.

replace the steering stabilizer

Going to I think. I’ve had good luck with OME in the past but a lot here seem to like plain old Monroe.

I had a pretty nasty shimmy too. Tires rotated and balanced fixed most of it.

Replacing the ball-bearingless U joints and Ball joints fixed the rest.

Anti death wobble prescription:

Tire pressure , no less than 26 psi

Perfectly balanced tires

No bent rims

Good front hub bearings and front axle u jounts

No bent axle flanges

Solid track bar mounts and bushings , all properly torqued

Solid drag link and tie rod ends

Tight pitman arm, stock

Operable, stock or similar steering stabilizer

Reactions: 04 LJ and KCsTJ