Found my AC leak, but is it the condenser?

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
Took my Jeep out for the day, yesterday. Kept the AC pumping all day long and it was still going ice cold. Today, I decided to check around the AC hoses and found what seemed to clearly be the leak point, according to the colored dye.

Big question: Is it my hose(s) or condenser?
Any feedback from the knowledgeable is appreciated. Cheers ~R

a5a2f07cb6b7b86a9aad04064bb99b5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jeepaholic @Chris @jeepins I appreciate your input gentlemen!

I did a brief search online, looks like I may have the buy the entire kit, which never hurts. Looks cheap enough, and I can replace all of them at the condenser at once. Replacing the lower pressure (upper) injection port as well, since it looks like some may have leaked there as well. The exact name of it escapes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
EDIT:

I caved and opted out of doing it myself. Requested quotes from 6 different shops with response from 5. Mechanics as close as ‘in-town’ to as far as 30 miles away. All with stellar reviews but also with pricing that could send you into a fury.

Highest estimate for a new compressor, seals, orifice tube, condenser, drier and recharge, w labor was $1,430. Others approximated it at 800 to 900 with NO condenser change. One of the places suggested I replace the hoses and 1 of the places where so busy, they made the excuse they couldn’t find a dryer for my year Jeep.

Ended up paying a lot less with good results. I wish anyone with AC issues best of luck. Seems it’s a specialized skill that commands a high price tag.

Last edited:
Find a shop that will recover the refrigerant. Replace the o-ring. Borrow/rent a vacuum pump and a set of gauges from AutoZone. Charge system.

Find a shop that will recover the refrigerant. Replace the o-ring. Borrow/rent a vacuum pump and a set of gauges from AutoZone. Charge system.

Ya, Ive got the FSM’s via this amazing forum. However, my time is money, as is anyone’s. It would have taken me much more time playing around w all the tools, between retrieving them and learning as I go, than paying a reputable shop I trust to do it.

Hey if anything else craps out, I’d take the dive. Just wanted to get in my Jeep and enjoy it. And that’s what I’ve been doing since ☀️ And yes, AC is a must for me on wet, humid days.

Reactions: TrueTexas
I hope you don't have my luck...I had to replace all the o-rings to find that the evaporator was leaking. I just replaced the rest of the system as well. Money doesn't matter when it is over 100°.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Ya, Ive got the FSM’s via this amazing forum. However, my time is money, as is anyone’s. It would have taken me much more time playing around w all the tools, between retrieving them and learning as I go, than paying a reputable shop I trust to do it.

Hey if anything else craps out, I’d take the dive. Just wanted to get in my Jeep and enjoy it. And that’s what I’ve been doing since ☀ And yes, AC is a must for me on wet, humid days.

It ain’t cheap to be cool 😎