Frame paint / prep

Steve3740

Swapping the tub on my Jeep and while I have it off it's time to clean up and paint my frame. The frame is solid but there is a good amount off surface rust. Currently I am using a needle scaler to remove any loose or flaking rust. Every thing that is left is solid but still rusty. Looking for opinions on what products to use. Rust conversion vs. rust encapsulation? Type of primer / paint? I was thinking using an oil based paint for the top coat. Needs to be something I can tint locally as I want to use a wild color for some parts. Valspare makes an oil based rust exhibiting paint I can tint at Lowe's. Any help would be appreciated.

Swapping the tub on my Jeep and while I have it off it's time to clean up and paint my frame. The frame is solid but there is a good amount off surface rust. Currently I am using a needle scaler to remove any loose or flaking rust. Every thing that is left is solid but still rusty. Looking for opinions on what products to use. Rust conversion vs. rust encapsulation? Type of primer / paint? I was thinking using an oil based paint for the top coat. Needs to be something I can tint locally as I want to use a wild color for some parts. Valspare makes an oil based rust exhibiting paint I can tint at Lowe's. Any help would be appreciated.
POR 15 is prob the most popular choice. Wire wheel it, degrease, metal prep if necessary for clean metal areas, then 2 coats of POR 15. The stuff doesn't come off anything once dry. Eastwood internal frame paint for the inner frame. Flush out loose rust well and let dry before applying.

EDIT: totally missed the part of wanting to tint the paint lol...so not sure if this works for you. sorry

Reactions: jimsmith29841
I've used KBS coatings with great results on cars, boats, and trailers. Comes in colors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Look into Eastwood, they have an internal frame coating and also a rust converter that you can use on the outside of the frame. Nice thing is you don’t need to topcoat it. I am in the middle of a complete repaint on my Lj and have been using quite a bit of their product. Very happy with them so far.

Look into Eastwood, they have an internal frame coating and also a rust converter that you can use on the outside of the frame. Nice thing is you don’t need to topcoat it. I am in the middle of a complete repaint on my Lj and have been using quite a bit of their product. Very happy with them so far.
The POR15 does need a topcoat if exposed to UV but if it’s on the frame you should be good since it’s underneath. I topcoated it anyways because I’m OCD like that