Frame replacement

Wildjeeper

Bought an 01 TJ in Ohio 19 years ago. With the winter road salts I always tried to keep the rust at bay. Por15, Eastwood frame internal coating etc...
Thought I’d share a photo of how my frame ended up.
The good news is I now have a new frame (03) on the Jeep that I got in California- no rust.
My brother has a shop in his garage and we were able to make the frame swap.
Rust is insidious!!!!

DD621841-F031-4F71-8CC5-549DD50AB49F.jpeg

The minute any car leaves the showroom floor the metal in it starts trying to turn to its natural state. Wranglers are not the only fully boxed frame that have had issues. They are strong out of the factory but also a trap for moisture, dirt and for us rust belt people-salt. It sucks...

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with a dealer replaced frame. Still has less than 100,000 miles and is a step side.

5C82DC01-DE03-4668-A064-14BE34B190CB.jpeg

Glad you were able to get the swap completed! This just makes me even more certain that painting the inside of the frame is a bad idea. FF/oil seems to be the better route IMHO.

Thata what happens with that Eastwood product or anything similar that puts a paint like coating on the inside frame. The rust gets behind it and continues to rot out the frame. All the while it looks like that coating is perfect, until just before that happens. Use a cosmoline or FF inside. It will continue to creep into crevices and you can still see if you missed a spot. Re-apply yearly. Eastwood hides and actually protects the rust so it can continue to grow.

Reactions: Cornbread