Frame rust repair

BamaJeep

Roll Tide
Supporting Member
So yesterday my buddy and I tackled my frame repair. I decided to go with the Pocono kit. It is a well built kit but the fit was off and had to be modified to work. The amount of rust and damage once we cut into the frame was pretty incredible. We got the passenger side done as it was the worst. We plan to do the driver side this fall once it cools off. I’m going to try the SafTCap for that project and hope for a better fit.

F81E916B-5E76-4197-B3AB-3A6BC546FF7A.jpeg

E8151B81-12F6-4896-B7C9-14EA1EEEC01F.jpeg

7CD3CA9D-2F80-4377-802C-71021265C9A7.jpeg

2CB8B7E8-07EA-45A4-A2B7-2E3E8D85CC02.jpeg

F2714019-2EC8-456A-B388-CE148052F8B3.jpeg

It was quite a bit of work. The front trailing arm piece doesn’t include the top mount but the repair piece goes the entire length past the mount so we had to cut off about 5 inches. They sale the top mount separately if needed but mine was in good shape. On the skid plate piece, the body mount cutouts weren’t correctly lined up so we had to make modifications to both the repair piece and the lower part of the existing body mount brackets. Also, it ended up making the skid plate mounting holes off by enough that the transmission mount didn’t line back up to the holes on the skid plate so we had to drill out for those. On the rear trailing arm piece, it includes the top and bottom trailing arm mount as well as the sway bar link bracket. However, the new piece extended beyond the exhaust hanger that is right above the sway bar mount so we had to either notch out for it or drill and tap for the exhaust bracket. We ended up just notching it out.

The modifications we had to make cost us a lot of time and work. In the end, the repair is very solid and I feel good about it but I am hoping the SafTCaps will offer a better fit.

Is your Jeep originally from Alabama? Man that is some rust. Kudos on the effort!!

No it spent most of its life in Ohio and the last couple years in Arkansas. I bought it from a dealer who applied undercoating to cover the rust, and I wasn’t informed enough when I bought it to check the known problem areas of the frame. I feel pretty good about the repair we made though and other parts of the Jeep are in good shape with 85,000 miles. Hoping to get many years out of it.

No it spent most of its life in Ohio and the last couple years in Arkansas. I bought it from a dealer who applied undercoating to cover the rust, and I wasn’t informed enough when I bought it to check the known problem areas of the frame. I feel pretty good about the repair we made though and other parts of the Jeep are in good shape with 85,000 miles. Hoping to get many years out of it.

Ahhh ok.. I figured it either came from up north or you were going to say you pulled it out of a sandpit or something. ;)

Just got done spraying fluid film in the frame I repaired. None of you told me how bad that stuff smells. 😂

Nice job on the frame...

It's funny.... I just had someone today mention how bad Fluid Film smells.... It honestly doesn't bother me & use it multiple time a week... for at least 5+ yrs.. It does have a sent but I guess I'm immune to it... 😂 (it works)

However if it does bother you you could try WoolWax... (fluid films competitor). We just got some to try, (so the verdict is still out) but it really doesn't have a smell like fluid film.... Just sprayed 2+ gallons on a couple pieces of equipment... hoping it is as good as fluid film...

Oh & we just used (3) different Pocono Metal pieces on our '99 & they fit really good.... I purchased them based on my fabricator friend who fixes jeeps all the time (2 to 3 jeeps a month) & he prefers Pocono's over Safe-t-cap's... Of course he was helping with the repair so I went on what he was comfortable with...

I don’t mind the smell as long as it works. But I won’t complain if the smell dissipates over time. 😆

@Superduty71 same here. I used to think it stunk, but now, immune or adjusted to scent. To me it smells of success because it works lol

As for Pocono Metal: Ive never been, nor have I seen their work in the flesh. If you’re local to them, I wouldn’t hesitate having them do the work. Ive called and inquired about some fabricating and the customer service / desk rep was friendly and gave me an estimate that I was confortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
.. It honestly doesn't bother me & use it multiple time a week... for at least 5+ yrs.. It does have a sent but I guess I'm immune to it... 😂 (it works)

I read on the internet that extended use of the stuff will cause babies to born naked. Be careful....

Reactions: chad
Naked and slimy is what I heard.😁 But now they are claiming "fake news".🙄Who knows the truth anymore!